+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Warning against chiro's for babies..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've heard some absolute horror stories, it's scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've been told (by a physio) that chiro's and physio's aren't real medical staff. That there is no medical agreeance on the science behind their work.. That this is why you don't get a Medicare rebate for seeing them.

Is this true? (I'm ignorant on this one).

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a rebate for some physio and they they are often employed in hospitals, I think physios are far more science based. I don't trust chiros personally, no Medicare rebate and some dodgy qualifications.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Physiotherapy is considered 'evidence based practice' which means there is some degree of objective scientific evidence behind what they do. This is why they are employed within government departments of health and why you can get a Medicare rebate on their treatment.

Chiropractors are excellent at marketing themselves but there is no objective evidence that anything they do makes a lick of difference. They are no where near educated enough in anatomy and physiology to be doing half the stuff they do. They are also notoriously anti-vax and make masses of quacky claims and advice.

I've been shocked to see how many people take their babies to them.

Won't somebody think of the children!!

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-09-2013),beebs  (29-09-2013),bel2466  (29-09-2013),Boobycino  (29-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (29-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (29-09-2013),Mambo  (29-09-2013),MissMuppet  (30-09-2013),mrsoptomistic  (29-09-2013),Renn  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Physios are rebated and pretty reliable (my DD has Erbs palsy and needs a fair bit of it, our physio has been wonderful and we see her at hospital once a month). It's all been bulk billed (or however hospitals do it ), and they also work with surgeons to come up with treatment plans. So I'd say they definitely have their place in medicine.
    Chiros are pretty controversial though (a lot also seem to have an anti vax stand for some reason).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scary! My son was born with "wry neck". He had a few physio visits and I was almost desperate enough to try a chiro. So glad I didn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Physiotherapy is considered 'evidence based practice' which means there is some degree of objective scientific evidence behind what they do. This is why they are employed within government departments of health and why you can get a Medicare rebate on their treatment.

Chiropractors are excellent at marketing themselves but there is no objective evidence that anything they do makes a lick of difference. They are no where near educated enough in anatomy and physiology to be doing half the stuff they do. They are also notoriously anti-vax and make masses of quacky claims and advice.

I've been shocked to see how many people take their babies to them.

Won't somebody think of the children!!
    I was always skeptical but my son would not stop crying and would wake up in the night screaming. So, I took him to a chiropractor at 3 months and he improved miraculously. My son is now 3, and I go back every 6 months. She was very gentle with my son and she has never once mentioned vax.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting. I've never taken DD to a chiro, although I've never had a need to. I have a few friends that take their little ones there, though, and swear by them.

I did go once myself for a sore back and whatever they did worked as I never had an issue again. Adults chiro would be a world away from infants though I imagine.

I'm not too sure what to think really...I don't know a lot about them, and that poor baby's neck- that's just horrible. I also don't like the anti- vax stance a lot seem to have. It seems like they have helped a lot of people with their babies though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I was always skeptical but my son would not stop crying and would wake up in the night screaming. So, I took him to a chiropractor at 3 months and he improved miraculously. My son is now 3, and I go back every 6 months. She was very gentle with my son and she has never once mentioned vax.
    My friend said the same thing with her DD at 6 weeks. she said the change overnight was incredible.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app