+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question re living arrangements

Hi everyone,

My SIL has asked me to ask a question for her (she's not a member).

'If DH and I were to move into a caravan for two years to save money for a house (this would be on PIL's property), what are the legal requirement for living with DS? Can we be in the same single room being DH is a step parent?'

My nephew is nearly 5 and she shares custody with his father. SIL and BIL got married this month.

My immediate thought was 'why would that be a problem?' but wanted to know responses.

I guess another question might be is a caravan a suitable accommodation for a child to live in, and could that affect custody?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as the Bio Dad isn't a jerk then it shouldn't be a problem, but if he is one that like to cause issues then yes he could say it is not acceptable, but in saying that he would have to prove that it is going to effect your nephew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ask her if the situation was reversed if she would be ok with it? Her ex & new partner sharing a caravan?

I personally don't see a problem with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    As long as the other parent is ok with it I don't see a problem. I don't think I personally could do it but that's me. I know others that have done it

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the ex isn't high-conflict, as in, doesn't make a mountain out of a mole hill, then they'll be fine.

If he is an a$$, I'm not 100% sure, my own lawyer told me that it was OK for my ex to live at his parents with my DD in the same room as him, as a way to save money and have help. My SO's daughters lawyer told us that his DD HAS to have her own BED at our place. (she has her own room, but the lawyer only seemed to care if she had her own bed)

Could your SIL make contact with a family lawyer (or free community law place) to ask?? Just to be on the safe side

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When you say 'shared' custody, as in how often would he be in the caravan?

I agree with a PP, put yourself in the opposite role. Would you (your SIL) be ok if it was her ex living in a caravan with her DS for that long?

I can't see it being a huge issue. However if I'm honest, I wouldn't like it. He's about to start school and everyone needs their own space every now and then (including her and the new DH!) - hard in a caravan, especially if she has majority of the care.