+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 7 month old isn't rolling back to front

My daughter is 7 months old, she rolled tummy to back what feels like ages ago, but has only rolled back to tummy 3 times and I think it was by accident. She rolls onto her side and looks behind her but won't flip over. She's sitting unassisted and can stand for about 30 seconds if she has a chair or something to hold onto. She also leans forwards from a sitting position and launches herself forwards, like she's trying to crawl. Now that she can sit, she doesn't like to lie in her back so rarely gets time to practice. Just wondering whether this is normal or whether she's delayed, and whether I need to be trying to make her roll?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At a group at child health they said to encourage them by lying them on their back and lift one knee towards their belly so their leg is bent amd using that momentum to show them how to roll over to their tummy.

But in my ds case he just wouldn't do it. I then left him with my neighbour for half an hour and she got him to do it with a toy. He rolled to his side then she dangled the toy just out of reach and he finished rolling.

Hth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6month old dd is similar she has not much interest in rolling at all has a few times but more by accident. I'm not worried as my ds3 was the same hardly rolled at all. He sat up at 7 months, crawled at 8months and walked at 13months so it never affected him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey JR. DD hardly rolled, just started bum shuffling from about 9 months before walking. She only properly learnt how to crawl after she could walk. Hates being on her stomach.
    DS is 8 months now and is very similar. Rolled a few times by accident but can move around sitting up to reach toys etc.

Edit - my niece loved tummy time and rolling and would roll over and over again to get to things, wasn't a crawler.

They are all so different
    Last edited by Mmumm; 29-09-2013 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 9mth old has hated being on his tummy from day dot. he was sitting unassisted by 5mths. im not worried about his core strength because he is already using walkers and standing against furniture ect. lunges forward from a sitting position as you said, but then screams because he hates being on his tummy!!
    however, he has just started to tumble about in his cot both ways, so i have stopped swaddling him. He wont roll on the floor though and i have spent alot of time enouraging him, i just gave up!....maybe try putting her on a soft rug or spongey mat? the floor might be a bit firm. it might be a confidence thing too, it will come in time and if it doesnt....dont stress!
    my dd was the same, hated tummy time, was a later crawler at 10mths...walked at 17mths but nothing wrong with that either imo.
    They will do what they want, when they want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD3 wasn't much of a roller, around 7-8 months whenever I put her on the floor I would put her down on her tummy, sometimes she would scream but pretty quickly she figured out she could flip herself over onto her back or push herself up on all 4s. Once she started pushing up on all 4's it wasn't long till she was getting into sitting and crawling. They all do things differently and it sounds like your DD is moving and doing plenty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was a little concerned to as my 8.5 month old doesn't roll from back to tummy (she's like a little turtle lol). I spoke to a mchn who told me rolling isn't even considered a milestone anymore because of the back to sleep campaign and as long as they are sitting upright and trying to get around there is nothing to worry about
    Edit: using a sleeping bag (dd does) also discourages them from learning how to roll too.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-10-2013 at 07:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A few times over the weekend, she rolled back to tummy with no prompting from us! She's also just started wiggling on her tummy to get a toy - I figure I just have a lazy baby who is happy to just give up on things than try to roll to get them :-) thanks for the responses!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear my dd is lazy too and knows if she whines hard enough I'll end up bringing the toy to her lol. And she's never on her back anymore always sitting up so she doesn't even get the chance really

Thanks
    Reviews
    JR, my DS1 wasn't much of a roller either. He didn't do it regularly until 8-9mths, was crawling at 10mths then not walking until 14.5mths. Yet I've been told he had the speech/language of a 3yr old before he turned 2! Some kids just develop differently.

My DS2 is 7mths and is rolling everywhere! It's actually a nightmare, I can't leave him anywhere like I could dS1, ha ha! Be careful what you wish for

ETA - DS2 is not sitting unassisted yet, even though his big brother was by now.