+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Facebook question.

So, maybe an odd question.

I have an old acquaintance, who is not my Facebook friend, but is DPs. A few months ago she took offence to something I tagged DP in and started posting a few statuses/comments about how I was a sl*t and slept with her boyfriend blah blah.
    DP and I had a laugh and shook it off.
    Tonight this acquaintance has done through statuses that I've tagged DP in (back till Jan) posting comments on them basically saying I'm a free for all, she wishes I could keep my legs shut, no men are safe blah blah, along with a few statuses.
    I can get DP to delete the comments and block her obviously, but is there anything I can do about the statuses and comments on things that aren't ours?
    We have a lot of mutual friends and even thought there is zero truth to what she's saying I don't like that sort of talk being out there.

Do I have any options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Eek! I believe you can report them which would probably result in fb removing them?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can take it to the police if she is using Facebook to harass or intimidate you. You can have a lawyer send her a letter outlining a potential defamation case where she could be sued for a substantial sum. I would screenshot every comment you can for posterity and to show the police if things escalate. A chat with the police or a legal letter should hopefully scare them off. How awful xx

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-09-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (28-09-2013),SpecialK  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have to fb friends with someone to report statuses? I have her blocked now but I'll try on DPs when she gets home.

She's not intimidating me, but I'm feeling pretty harassed I don't want to sue her or anything, but maybe a chat with the police might make her back off?
    If I took it to them would they just laugh at me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'd probably have to unblock her, wouldn't have to be friends with her I don't think. Or your DP could report her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    Do you have to fb friends with someone to report statuses? I have her blocked now but I'll try on DPs when she gets home.

She's not intimidating me, but I'm feeling pretty harassed I don't want to sue her or anything, but maybe a chat with the police might make her back off?
    If I took it to them would they just laugh at me?
    Nah, I wouldn't really use, but someone that petty and childish who gets their jollies from saying nasty things they've made up about others online clearly isn't a card carrying Mensa member, you know? They'll likely be dopey enough to be scared by that. The police won't laugh at you. Cyber harassment is a real crime and one that is sadly becoming more prevalent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Screenshot EVERYTHING.. I have spoken to the police about something like this recently & basically you just need to keep a record of everything... Don't retaliate... Don't write anything about her... Let her dig her own grave.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

Jenga  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've taken screenshots of everything I can find. When DP gets home I'll troll through the rest before she blocks her.

The only retaliation I had was on one of her first comments for the night and I said 'Well that's mature'. Probably shouldn't have, but it's better than what I wanted to say!

I'm sure letter from a lawyer would probably make her sh*t herself, so that's a good idea!

I really don't understand the motivation. She's twice my age, and the extent of out social interaction was a couple of drinks together and she did some yard work for my FIL. It's getting me really down

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh how immature of her and frustrating for you. I must admit I'm intruiged as to what type of thing could cause so much offence that she has gone all psycho on you?! You don't have to say what it actually was of course, but I'm wondering if it really quite offensive (what you said) or is she just completely unstable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    Gosh how immature of her and frustrating for you. I must admit I'm intruiged as to what type of thing could cause so much offence that she has gone all psycho on you?! You don't have to say what it actually was of course, but I'm wondering if it really quite offensive (what you said) or is she just completely unstable?
    It was just a post about the 'free apple product' posts that were going around, you know the 'share this and win an unsealed ipad' etc.
    I posted a status about how it was a load of crap and just a way for random pages to get likes etc. Apparently I offended her with it?
    It wasn't anything personally directed at her, and I can't think of anything that I could have done to offend her :/