+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did your toddler start wearing hard-soled shoes?

So I was told by our chiropractor a few months ago when i was there that when learning to walk, toddlers still should be wearing the soft-soled pre-walkers because hard soles inhibit learning to walk properly, & also can affect other things like bone/muscle development in their feet & their posture.

So at what point is it safe to put them in hard-soled shoes? Is it a certain age that's safe? Or after a certain number of months of walking?

At what age was your toddler, & how long had they had been walking when you progressed up to hard soles on shoes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would usually get them fitted for hard soled shoes after they have been walking properly for 6-8 weeks. My DD wore soft soled shoes until she had been walking for about 7 weeks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janey2012 For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i put my kids in hard soled shoes as soon as they started walking .. didnt know you had to wait... they are now 18 and 16

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our osteo said till they were completely competent at walking and running. So it varies child to child. Dd1 was in soft shoes for 10wks and dd2 is still in them 8wks since she was walking.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS got his first pair of hard soles shoes yesterday! Some super cute clarks sandals. He's been walking for over 4 months but his feet were too little for proper shoes! He's been in pre walkers (but they seemed a bit more structured than normal soft canvas ones). They put them on his feet and he ran in the store straight away so he was definitely ready for them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not until after two years of age and now at 2.5 I try to keep her barefoot as often as possible.
    When you think about it hard soled shoes all the time is a pretty unnatural way to walk, and as I have foot problems I am a bit uptight about passing them on to my kids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited until she was abour 2yo. My 15mo dd2 doeant even wear soft soled shoes yet, juat socks. I want their feet to develop as naturally as possible without shoes getting in the way of the foots natural development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my kids in hard soled shoes when they confident walking. No way would sift soled shoes be suitable for many if the places my kids were walking.