+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Requirement to tell Work place

I'm currently 11w pregnant with my first pregnancy after years of trying and fertility treatment including IVF. I'm very cautious and taking one day at a time. I'm about to take a month off work on pre planned annual leave, so once I go back I'll be about 16 weeks. Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement of when you tell your workplace that you will be taking Mat Leave? Everyone I know can't wait to tell the world at 12 weeks, but we plan on keeping it quiet until it becomes obvious. With my severely retroverted uterus it could be weeks yet. I don't think I could cope with everyone elses sadness if anything did happen. Do you think 3 months notice before taking Mat Leave is enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only have to give 8 weeks notice prior to taking maternity leave. The majority of women at my work share around the 4 month mark so don't be concerned about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to give work 10 weeks notice.

I had just transferred in and started at 25 weeks pregnant. Worked for 3 weeks and handed in my maternity leave application. Most people there didn't know I was pregnant (I carried very small). The boss said he thought I might have been. Worked till 36 weeks. Gave birth at 37+6.

Ended up being just under 10 weeks notice, but he didn't say anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My work is 10 weeks notice. One chick didn't announce till over 20 weeks. I normally tell at 12 as I need to avoid certain chemicals in the work place. I'm now 31 and they still haven't hired my replacement yet. Last time he started a week before I went on mat leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are legally required to provide ten weeks notice in writing of your intention to take parental leave (where possible). Being that most people stop work 4-6 weeks before the birth then that puts you around 24-26 weeks as a deadline for providing notice.

There's more answers on the following web page:
    http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/par...tal-leave.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have to hand in paperwork minimum 10 wks before off on leave and have to finish up at 34 wks but thats cause i'm a nurse. I will have to tell them soon as they are so slack wont have staff to cover my permanent night shifts even with many months warning

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to give 12 w notice but that was more because we needed to recruit to replace me.
    Congratulations on the bfp!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep it's 1O weeks notice - that's 10 weeks from starting leave, not your due date.

But usually it's obvious way before then.