+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 month old loves solids! But I'm worried if he's getting enough breastmilk?

Hi everyone. My little boy is almost 7 months old. I started him on solids a month ago, and he took to it wonderfully and loves his food! Prior to solids I was breastfeeding him every 3 hours approximately, sometimes every 2-2.5 hours. He has always been a very efficient and rather quick feeder, but I think he would get enough because he gained weight normally etc.

At the moment his breastfeeds have quite suddenly decreased. I sometimes offer boob before a meal, but he'll turn away and cry. Then when I sit him in his high chair he'll happily gobble down stewed pear, fruit, roast vegies etc. For the last 2 weeks he has also been sleeping through the night.

His routine is like this right now:
    7.30am he wakes up. I offer boob, and if he refuses I'll sit him down for half a mashed banana, some yogurt and sometimes some vegemite toast shared with his older sister.
    9-11.30 nap
    12 noon - lunch, mashed sweet potato or pumpkin, custard.
    2-4 - nap (sometimes he'll have a breastfeed before this nap)
    6pm dinner -chicken veg casserole or bolognaise, yogurt
    7pm breastfeed, sometimes he's so tired though he'll go to sleep without a feed.

I read somewhere that breastmilk should still be the most important part of their nutrients until they're 1 even if they've started solids. Will my son be getting enough of the nutrients from the breastmilk if he's only feeding 3 times in a day?

I'm so confused! My daughter wasn't into her food that much, and always preferred milk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At his age you should always offer BM before solids- sounds like he's not getting much at all, only 1-2 feeds a day. Breast milk is the main source of nutrition in the first 12 months. Maybe offer before he is hugely hungry like before a nap or when he is just waking and drowsy? Babies that young can't eat enough variety to get what they need from solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply I'll try doing that.

Once in a while he'll wake for a feed in the night. I think on average 3-4 feeds a day for past week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is almost 5 months and on solids 3 times a day. She also has 4 -5 bottle feeds per day. As PP said, I always offer formula first and an hour and a half later she has her solid meal. She's been sleeping through the night since she was 12 weeks so I can't help you with the overnight feeds but I would think that. 2-3 feeds of milk per day probably isn't enough ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks first time mummy that's really helpful. I want to give my little boy the best health possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you do and I'm certain you're doing a great job
    If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help where I can

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD3 is 7 months and exactly like this except if I try and offer boob and if she doesn't want it she bites me.
    Unfortunately unlike your DS, my DD makes up by feeding ALL NIGHT LONG.

My DD loves her food so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I follow the tizzie hall routine which basically says always offer breast before solids. My DS has

7am wake and feed (milk)
    8am breakfast (solids)
    9am sleep
    11am milk
    12pm lunch (solids)
    1.20pm sleep
    3pm milk
    5.20pm tea (solids)
    6.20pm milk
    7pm bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 7 month cold loves her food too, especially dinner, she'll refuse a bottle at 5:55pm but be ravenous for real food at 6. Sometimes even though she still seems hungry after I've given her whatever amount of solids, I won't give her anymore and instead make her fill up when she has her next bottle. Some days she won't have her first bottle until 11am coz she refuses it first thing coz she wants breakfast, then goes to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just also want to add that I have found the hot weather (I'm in qld) has been affecting my little one's feeding. He has little interest atm, it's been worrying me because I'm scared my supply will drop!