+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dying hair a different colour

I had dark brown hair but have been going grey since I was 15. I used to just put a burgundy colour in but about 10yrs ago I changed to a lighter brown with blonde foils in an attempt to better hide the grey.

Anyway it's not really working anymore, the blonde just looks grey anyway so I've been told!

I'm thinking of going back to dark with a burgundy look again but can I do it at home or due to the foils need to get it done professionally so the blonde bits don't go pink or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about staying the lighter brown (in a solid colour) and doing it at home? You'll likely get a more natural look in a brown and find it easier to achieve at home than a burgundy colour.

I couldn't say for sure what colour your foils will go, there is a possibility they will go a pinky colour, or a bright red colour. Another option is to put a permanent solid brown dye through and then put a burgundy through a week later. Make sure you get something that specifically covers grey though, it usually has more ammonia or similar so that it grips properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I think you're right, either put a solid brown of some description to avoid the foils going a different colour or probably go to the hairdresser and then I can take over from there once that first one is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the same experience with the foils just not hiding the grey anymore - we also also go grey early in my family!

I'm naturally light brown, about a 6, and applied a 6 ash toned but it came our darker on my highlights. I decided to start home colouring again as I need it done every 4-6 weeks for regrowth and couldn't afford it otherwise.

Going for burgundy though I would get it done the first time by a hairdresser as they will first brush on a 'filler' colour on your highlights then apply the burgundy all over. After that just use packet/home mix colour.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I finally bit the bullet and went to the hairdresser today and so glad I did. She had to apply the colour twice to get the coverage over the foils, the first colour left it too patchy. At least now I can touch it up myself invetween visits. It was a terrible eye opener to how grey I'm going, must have been in denial!!