+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started a thread asking the same thing.. though we are thinking Thailand when dd is 14 months.
    I personally would take your lo, that is a long time to be away imho, and I wouldn't risk losing the breastfeeding relationship
    I know it might not work for u but if you didn't want to leave lo with a nanny could you invite family on the trip? (Parents) then they could also have a holiday... Sorry its a tricky situation but id just go for it

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think 2 weeks away is quite a long time, I couldn't leave my DS for that long.

I understand your concerns with the nanny situation, I felt the same about the Fijian nannys even though I've heard how great they are. It's just a matter of me not liking the idea of leaving DS with a total stranger in a foreign country.

Could you and you DH possibly take turns at the wedding? I know that may be hard though. Or could you just go for the wedding and then come back and not stay the full 2 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you ask them if he could be at the ceremony? In my opinion, it's a bit much to expect people to travel overseas and not have children with them

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also thinking this...

Could you and you DH possibly take turns at the wedding? I know that may be hard though. Or could you just go for the wedding and then come back and not stay the full 2 weeks?[/QUOTE]

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD had been to Bali three times by the time she was 12 months, and I had left her with a nanny at 8 months and 12 months, no problem. The nanny was arranged by the hotel and I was always in the hotel grounds so could pop in whenever I wanted or they could find me whenever I was needed (although I wasn't). Common sense prevails, no stale buffet food etc - take as much as you like, pouches of pureed foods etc. Not ideal diet but if you're worried at least they're sterile-ish. I'd go. Think spa/massage everyday, yummy food, warm weather, swimming pools ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, I think it's really poor form of your friends to expect people to travel OS for their wedding, but then say your kids aren't welcome. Surely they would realise most parents would want/have to take kids?? I got married in Bali and would never even dream of suggesting that.

Secondly, I just got back from Bali last week - had my 2yr old & 6mth old with me and it was brilliant. Bali is VERY family friendly, they adore young children.

You could always hire a nanny to spend time with you altogether a few times first, say in the pool or something? Get to know her and feel comfortable, before leaving your DD for the night. At only approx $5 per hour, it's worth it for peace of mind. We've never had a bad experience yet and many friends have used them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would much rather leave my 1 year old with a Nanny for a few hours/the night then in another country for 1-2 weeks. My kids are my family, and we all go together! Even now at 3 and 5 I would never leave them for that long.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Two Little Loves For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (28-09-2013),River Song  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I would take them on an overseas holiday, just not to a third world country. So, in your situation no I wouldn't go.
    The sanitation and healthcare would be my biggest reasons. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them, but I wouldn't take the risk.

However travelling is a big part of our lives and we have trips to NZ and Italy booked before DS is 1, so it is not the travel in general that puts me off, just your location.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback everyone... The other option we were looking at was to pay for my mum to come with us to watch him while we go to the wedding. I can't ask if we can take him, as there's lots of other people with kids going & they kind of can't say yes to just me and not everybody else.

My biggest concern is the fear of him getting sick... And what would I do for food???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Thanks for your feedback everyone... The other option we were looking at was to pay for my mum to come with us to watch him while we go to the wedding. I can't ask if we can take him, as there's lots of other people with kids going & they kind of can't say yes to just me and not everybody else.

My biggest concern is the fear of him getting sick... And what would I do for food???
    Bringing your mum is a great option! I would recommend staying at a family friendly resort, that is highly regarded. I can recommend the Bali Dynasty. Their hygiene and meal prep is fantastic.

Just make sure that you take out travel insurance. They have private western clinics with all the bells and whistles.