+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you taken a 1 year old on an overseas holiday & would you?

So we just got the save the dates for my partners best friends wedding in Bali next year. I'm really torn about whether to take my son who will be just over 12 months... We will probably go for 1-2 weeks (pending on how much time my partner can get off work) they have specified that they don't want any kids at the ceremony.

Here are my reasons for wanting to take him:
    1. I will miss him
    2. I am concerned my milk will dry up while I'm away (I plan to still be bf then if all goes to plan)
    3. It will be our first time overseas as a family
    4. 1-2 weeks is a really long time & it's not like we are just going an hour drive away where we could easily come home if something went wrong

Here are my reasons for not wanting to take him:
    1. I'm worried about him getting sick & not necessarily having access to correct health care while he's there.
    2. Because there is to be no kids at the ceremony, we would have to leave him with a Bali nanny & that's not something I feel comfortable with.
    3. It would be nice for my partner & I to have a holiday together as it will probably be our only break since having him.
    4. I'm worried that Bali may not be a family friendly location for him to enjoy.

I don't think I could leave him for that long, but honestly I'm so worried about him getting sick, as I know how easy it is for adults to get sick, let alone kids.

What would you do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was a thread recently about taking kids to SE Asia that may answer some of your questions.

We are doing it. Thailand, not Bali, but it's a similar thing. I think the benefits outweigh the risks. There are always babies/toddlers in Thailand when I've been. I think your DS would have a blast!

Hopefully others will have some specific advice for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't take my kids. We are going for a child free holiday next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would take my kids if I was going overseas for that long. If it was a couple of days I might leave them but not two weeks and not if I was still breastfeeding.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're taking DD to Hawaii for 8 days when she'll be 10 months old. There's no way in heck I could be away from her for that long

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS with us to Fiji on our honeymoon - he was 15 months. He loved it! We all had a great time.

In your situation, the only thing that would worry me would be having to get a nanny....I thought before we went to Fiji I'd be ok with it, but in the end I couldn't do it.

That's just me thou -- heaps of people hire nannies overseas & it's totally fine.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MY DD turned 1 in Hawaii. It was great whilst we were there but the flights were horrendous and I'll never do that again! She slept for 3 hours out of 10. If it was a week max & I had a trusted babysitter I'd consider leaving them home but I'm not sure I could do it but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her with a babysitter in Bali either.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I took my two children to Europe and my youngest was 12 months old. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's especially easy if they are still breastfeeding By the way, Bali is very family friendly

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I just read that you don't feel comfortable leaving him with a Balinese nanny and there are no kids at the wedding. In that case, I would leave him at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take the child to an overseas holiday but am unsure whether I would leave them with a nanny. Maybe talk to the couple that you are considering going but would like to take the baby to the wedding?