+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebki View Post
    I go back to work on Monday and my little man just turned 4 months. I am lucky that I can do the majority at home but will have 2 days in office, I don't want to go back, I am not ready but have to cause we need my wage. Gov funded maternity leave should be 6 months really.
    I totally agree with that. I at least wanted 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to lend my support. It is very hard leaving baby...especially that young.

I have no experience with this... Other mothers may be able to help me...but do you have any sick leave? I'm just thinking that if your bubba won't take a bottle there is really no way you can leave her at 4 months. My babies all fed every 2-3 hours at that stage. Could a doctor wrote you a med cert to say you are caring for a family member?

Just an idea, like I said I haven't done this so I'm not sure if a doctor would consider it reasonable. It's also good to have sick leave in case you are sick of course too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Big hugs. I really feel for you. The most important thing I will say is that working in any capacity does not make you a part-time mum, I promise you.

Is there any way you can defer study so you only need to work two days and then have five home days?
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Hugs! You poor thing! If it makes you sad, there must be another option...

I was just wondering, if you're studying, can you apply for austudy? (Is that what it's called still?! Been a while since i studied!) I have no idea of the eligibility requirements for it, but I just thought if you're studying full time it may be an option.

I looked into that. You can either go on austudy or parenting payment and austudy is less since its not supposed to support any children. I am in the process of applying for next year because I wanted to do face to face rather than external. I learn better that way. Now I am changing to do external which will mean I can do it at home and stay with DD on non work days. It will just make study harder.

I am lucky in the respect that mum is keen to look after her and if I can get days at the center close to her she will bring DD to me to feed during breaks. But that is dependent on me getting work close to home. It's just a really hard thing for me to accept. I am very much hoping it gets easier as PP says.

DD is very much attached to me too. When she is overtired or upset she wont even be content with her dad. It becomes all about mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And I know JennyBaby was only trying to help but a medical certificate is absolutely not feasible for a number of reasons.

Your employer can't be expected to provide paid sick leave so you can breastfeed. And it would absolutely not qualify as sick/carers leave.

Not saying you would have tried that anyway!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That must be really hard my fella is 5 months and Id find it incredibly hard to leave him.

Can you defer uni for one semester while your baby is young and get a night job two nights a week instead of days?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really feel for you, going back at any time when you aren't ready is hard!
    Can you possible defer some of your payments, re work your budget or get a night job as mentioned by pp?
    What type of work do you do ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy18 For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    And I know JennyBaby was only trying to help but a medical certificate is absolutely not feasible for a number of reasons.

Your employer can't be expected to provide paid sick leave so you can breastfeed. And it would absolutely not qualify as sick/carers leave.

Not saying you would have tried that anyway!
    Didn't think it would work anyway but I used up all my sick leave and annual leave to have a month off before bub was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    That must be really hard my fella is 5 months and Id find it incredibly hard to leave him.

Can you defer uni for one semester while your baby is young and get a night job two nights a week instead of days?
    I did think of nights but any night work I could get most likely wont give me 8 hr shifts so I would have to work more than 2 nights. I work in childcare so nights in my industry arent really an option. Plus night time DD cluster feeds and gets clingy and fussy.
    Last edited by Tildy; 28-09-2013 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you do home daycare at all? I know it's not just a matter of deciding to do home daycare and it happening the next day. Just an idea.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Can you do home daycare at all? I know it's not just a matter of deciding to do home daycare and it happening the next day. Just an idea.
    As in me running family day care in my house? I wish. That would be ideal. Aside from the set up costs there is also the fact that our house is way too small and my pets cannot be kept separate and they need to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you find a centre that you can work in and take your baby??
    Find a centre that will allow you to do this and that way you can feed her whenever you need to.