+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Upset about returning to work.

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot so feel free to move it if needed mods.

My DD is only 4 1/2 months old and I have run out of maternity leave. I applied for parenting payment and was told I would get $93 a fortnight. Even combined with some FTB A and B its not enough to live off. So instead of doing a teaching degree at uni whilst being a full time carer for DD I now face having to head back to work for at least 2 days and doing uni externally. To me it feels like I will be a part time worker, part time student and part time mum and I hate the idea!

I am so upset (been crying for a few days) as this is the complete opposite of what I want for DD. She is still 100% breastfed, has never had a bottle in her life! And she has never been looked after by anyone without me there. If I couldn't stay at home for years and do uni I at least wanted 6 months but I cant even have that! She is still so little and now I feel like I have to start defining her routine, rush the introduction of bottles and generally shake up her whole little world and change the relaxed way I parent. Plus, I don't want to miss anything and she is on the verge of so many things right now. And she is still so little.

Logic tells me that I am not the only one who has felt this way and that she will be ok in the care of my mum who, next to me and DP is her favourite adult. But logic doesn't make me feel less sad and alone right now. The only thing I have known for sure in my life is that I want to be a mum.

I guess this is just me wanting to be heard and wanting someone to understand and sympathise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, how does one go about expressing and freezing milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand you completely!! My maternity leave will run out next week and I have been on the phone to centrelink so many times the last couple of weeks estimating FTB and Rent Assistance for either the scenario of not going back to wok at all this financial year, going back to work next year or going back to work when my leave runs out, going back to work part-time or going back to wok full-time. The only scenario that we can afford is me going back to work full-time when leave runs out. Which means I am going back to work on the 8th of Oct.

I am just as devastated as you are! My DD is 5.5 months old I'm hoping you get some more responses and I will be reading along with you for some advice!

Just a supportive post to let you know I am in the same boat and I understand how you feel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paris08 For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I so hear you. I have to go back sooner then I wanted and I'm so upset about it. Mine are in FDC but we love our carer. Im just not mentally ready to do it! As for bf...Neither of my first two would take bottle's of anything at all. They were on solids though by then so made it a bit easier. DS2 3rd bub...we are trying to introduce one bottle of formula a day. I dont have the time to express and with 3 young kids it is much easier if he will take a bottle if needed. Start trying to get uour bub onto bottles now. Just one a day so at least you know she'll take one. Expressing..Google the ABA but buy and electronic breast pump . Heaps better then a manual one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big hugs. I really feel for you. The most important thing I will say is that working in any capacity does not make you a part-time mum, I promise you.

Is there any way you can defer study so you only need to work two days and then have five home days?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With the expressing and storing. I went back to work when my dd1 was 10wks old and dd2 was 7mths old. They have never had/have a bottle of formula in their life. One is 3yo and the other 16mths. I'm still expressing

I expressed daily at 6am and 1pm ish till I had a decent enough supply in my freezer then just kept the 1pm one as dd2 is now only on 3 feeds a day. My milk is higher in the morning than afternoon so I always got more volume then.

I also stored milk in 50ml lots using those snack zip lock backs or you can use ice cubes to freeze them then store in zip lock bags. Its easier to defrost small amounts this way and less wastage. Btw at the age your bubba is I wouldn't bother with bottles. Just go to sippy cups.

Good luck. its do-able pm me anytime. Breastfeeding is very important to me and I understand your grief about starting bottles.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-09-2013),Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs! You poor thing! If it makes you sad, there must be another option...

I was just wondering, if you're studying, can you apply for austudy? (Is that what it's called still?! Been a while since i studied!) I have no idea of the eligibility requirements for it, but I just thought if you're studying full time it may be an option.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm going back to work FT, bub will be 6.5 months so older than yours.

Everyone told me that the first day would be the hardest. I have done two days of work so far and I can def attest that the first day was hard and second day was HEAPS better.

To be honest, I think it is a lot harder on us mums than on bubs, especially this young.
    It is also hard to realize that our dear babies can actually be fine without us IYKWIM...

The great thing is that your mum will be able to send you pics of bubs during the day and you will be able to check on them often :-)

I won't lie it will be hard but I'm sure you'll get to appreciate it soon.

BTW you are and will be a full time mum for the rest of your life

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-09-2013),Tildy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go back to work on Monday and my little man just turned 4 months. I am lucky that I can do the majority at home but will have 2 days in office, I don't want to go back, I am not ready but have to cause we need my wage. Gov funded maternity leave should be 6 months really.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ebki For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (28-09-2013)