+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Laughable? Sorry lovely but if its laughable then perhaps others would say you're just a little bit vain!

When I'm roping my handbag, nappy bag, newborn, 3 yo, lunch box and water bottles out the door the last thing I think is **** how's my hair (actually usually its where are my keys / the newbies binky / 3 year old / dear god the baby is choking on his chuck again)

Personally I judge someone by how They TREAT me and my children not by their appearance or accesories!
    You sound exactly like me but with different aged children.

Most of the time I have no idea what I look like. I can't even remember the last time I wore make up. It really doesnt bother me, I always seem to have far more important things to think about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I pride myself for being an attentive Mum more than I pride myself in my appearance. My 2nd baby was a very sick baby. Not only did I have a busy toddler who sapped my energy, I also had a very sick little bubba to care for. I regularly went days without a shower during her first year of life, and sometimes when I fainted at 5pm, I realised that I hadn't eaten anything all day. It was the worst hell that I have ever been through, and I don't even remember what my appearance was during that year. Now that she is getting older & is becoming healthier, I am starting to care for myself again. I am doing things for ME! I'm eating well and exercising and I had a hair cut the other day, for the first time in about 2 years. I'm shaving my legs! Waxing my eyebrows! I'm going out on date nights with my DH. These are all things that I like to do for myself, not because I am concerned for my appearance, but because they are how I take care of my own needs. But sometimes, being a mother is just about surviving, and we do put ourselves last out of necessity. I would never ever judge a mum for taking care of her kids needs before her own.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (13-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013),My Beloved Ones  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer1 View Post
    Im not offended nor do i feel the need to justify my daily self.... With small kids, enuff said! I'd just like to know what angle you're coming from op? Are you concerned that these women are putting too much pressure on themselves as mothers, and will eventually crumble, or won't have the stamina to keep going? Or that they are not leading by example for the children? or do you think that its a shame that such caring beautiful mothers take such a back seat? Or are you angling at the idea that they are just a bit lazy? Just curios to the motivation behind your question/statement. It's provoking to say the least.
    This is a good question because I do think mums do tend to put themselves last on the list of priorities and it's a shame we do and perhaps that should have been the way the OP wrote the thread. But that's just the way it is with young families. It also depends on what's important to you. I never wear make-up time or not when others might see this as a priority. For me eating well is a priority and I rarely eat junk food. It's so individual but at the same time I think most mums do it ( put themselves last).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Dreamer1  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Something has to give. Those mums may have a really clean house or studying or run a successful business or have 5 other kids at school.

With a 4 yr old & 9 month old I do spend a few extra minutes slapping on some tinted moisturiser, draw on my eyebrows & do a quick neat bun and usually wear something 'neat and tidy'. I'm not fancy but I'm presentable; think I look pretty good.

But man my house and garden are a f*cking disaster.
    LOL. I'm hearing you...minus the bun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Something has to give. Those mums may have a really clean house or studying or run a successful business or have 5 other kids at school.

With a 4 yr old & 9 month old I do spend a few extra minutes slapping on some tinted moisturiser, draw on my eyebrows & do a quick neat bun and usually wear something 'neat and tidy'. I'm not fancy but I'm presentable; think I look pretty good.

But man my house and garden are a f*cking disaster.

Haha this made me chuckle. There's always something that's gotta give

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only over the last year or so have I started doing things for me. Wearing nicer fitting clothes, make up, eating better. I even got my eyebrows waxed, watch out!

Does this mean I'll have more friends now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (13-10-2013),Purple Lily  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm one of those mums who will take about 15-20 mins to quickly straighten hair, put make up/moisturiser on, put something half decent on... depending on my mood/sleep of course... one day I went to the local Westfield, and I noticed a few ppl looking at me, and it wasn't til I got home I realised that when I took my shoes off, I was wearing my size 6 ladies pink masseur on my left foot and my hubby's size 9 black masseur on my right foot.. lol. I don't know how I didn't even notice one shoe was heaps bigger.. I didn't even look down. I was too excited to just get some free time away from the kids and had the last Harry Potter book on hold for me at my local bookstore...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-10-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im one of them mums.

My world revolves around DS. I know he wont be small forever, and he will be off to school in a few years time, we are TTC and i dont know when #2 will come along, and these moments will be fewer and further between. Im going to cherish every moment with him i have.

That being said, i always have clean clothes (maybe ill-fitting... Im yo-yoing lately so have a variety of sizes) but my hair is always done. I cant leave the house unless ive showered and done my hair. I NEVER wear makeup, i never have worn it daily. Its just not me.

I also don't see the point wearing nice clothes to have them stained with paint, glue, torn, stretched (DS love to pull/swing on clothes. Drives me )

On a 'good' day. If i know we are doing something other than groceries etc, i may pull on some leggings and a dress or something... However i then run into another drama. I can NOT get ladies shoes to fit my massive man sized feet. Makes dressing up nice near impossible, because Mens shoes are freaking ugly! They dont exactally make nice sandals with a slight heel to suit a dress for men to wear. Or nice boots, that arent rossi steel cap pull ons. I literally live in my MENS, size 12/13 Asics runners...or black thongs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't "blame"my children for anything.

Just pointing out some may not be as vain as some others on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    I don't actually think OP was being mean...was just asking a genuine question.I cant answer for anyone else...but I know I do a mirror check,maybe a quick wardrobe change and a fix up before we go out in public? Its kinda laughable everyone in this thread doesn't give a **** how they look and can gladly blame their children for ruining their hair?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree that a lot of mums put themselves last, I know I do and it isn't good. WHat I object to is the insinuation that putting yourself means wearing makeup and nice clothes. Personally I believe there is way more to life than that. I have just started me time by going back to uni, gardening with a passion, getting healthy etc. I think it a little shallow that putting yourself first equals makeup!

Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    This is a good question because I do think mums do tend to put themselves last on the list of priorities and it's a shame we do and perhaps that should have been the way the OP wrote the thread. But that's just the way it is with young families. It also depends on what's important to you. I never wear make-up time or not when others might see this as a priority. For me eating well is a priority and I rarely eat junk food. It's so individual but at the same time I think most mums do it ( put themselves last).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-10-2013),Wise Enough  (14-10-2013)