+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My mum has never been into fashion or whatnot. She has always been a bit of a dag (does wear clean clothes though). She has no kids at home to care for any more but I'm sure some could judge her as "not taking care of herself". It's simply nonsense though. She's never been a suzie homemaker.

I think when kids are young this is pretty normal. They are energy draining leeches. I do think as they get older it's good to find balance. Not re looks, I couldn't give a rats about that, but I try to get my DS who is now school-aged to pull his weight around the house for his sake as well as mine. He has learned the hard way that I'm not a servant lol.

I do feel sad for some women whose hubbys won't pull their weight and give them time off to go to they gym or paint their nails and have a shower, that is if that's what they want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I find this thread amusing! Today I left the house then realised I hadn't brushed my hair and my shirt had baby vomit on it was it me you saw op.
    I got all the way to the shops today and realized I'd forgotten to put on a bra, was wearing my daggiest leggings and had vomit in my hair. Was embarrassing but at least I had bubs with me so hopefully people understood haha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    lol I remember being in the newborn sleep deprived stage with my first, in the check out line at woolies. When an old duck whispers to me "dear your shirt is inside out and back to front". Looking down I also noticed I had puke on my shoulder.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (13-10-2013),Benji  (13-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013),Jennybaby  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't notice the same trend. Everyone I know like that is well presented themselves. Actually, I would say all the mums I know are fantastic mums and they dress neatly.

I have seen daggy mums with daggy kids though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I find this thread amusing! Today I left the house then realised I hadn't brushed my hair and my shirt had baby vomit on it was it me you saw op.
    I did my grocery shopping today with unbrushed hair.. I really thought I had done it, but I must've been remembering doing my daughters hair.. At least someones hair got done!!

I was also wearing an old grey top and black pants with the one pair of shoes that I own while the 4 kids were looking great.. I probably looked insane with my red hair all over the place, but in the end, my shopping got done without the kids killing each other which is all I care about!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lol. Great thread. I've been a bit slack on the ol' hair brushing of late so this was well timed because seeing the judgement laid out like that it's so ridiculous I just don't feel like I need worry about being self conscious. So cheers. I'll carry on being an awesome mum with unbrushed hair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (13-10-2013),babybabycakes  (13-10-2013),beebs  (14-10-2013),BigRedV  (13-10-2013),delirium  (13-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Might've been me you noticed out and about, OP. my hair is curly and unruly, not sure if a pony tail looks better or worse, and sometimes honestly washing it can look frizzier than if it were dirty. As for my clothes well its old jeans and tshirts all the way on my days off, I like to get down and play with DD including on the play equipment, painting, cooking etc, so I'd rather be wearing old clothes that can get dirty.

As for "taking care" of myself, damn right I take care of me! I travel (with and without my family in tow), exercise, have a challenging and rewarding career, study, work on my spiritual side, get regular massages, catch up with friends, have interesting conversations with people, see movies and cultural events, volunteer, blog and cook amazing food for me and my family.

So, I may not "appear" to be cared for but my BODY and more importantly my MIND are in fantastic nick, thanks for your concern!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A childless colleague once asked me why I was brushing my teeth at work. She couldn't comprehend when I told her I didn't have time before I left the house that day.
    If I don't have time to brush my teeth then I don't have time to do anything else that the OP would seem to think is a requirement. Thank goodness I don't know you IRL.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have to be very unwell to leave the house without my hair and makeup done, and wearing nice clothing... but that's me. Just because FOR ME that's a huge priority, why should it be for other people?

I do agree with the sentiment that mothers should put themselves first some of the time too... but that's not necessarily about looking great in public, but rather going, "You know what? My kids aren't going to suffer any if I leave them with their dad so I can go see a movie with a friend for a few hours," or whatever.

While I do think it's good manners to present yourself in a respectable manner (I know so many people disagree with that here on BH... lol), that doesn't mean you're clean-eating, going to the gym several times a week and spending a fair chunk of your morning prettying yourself up... it just means you wear shoes and a bra, and actually brush your hair (and you know, not wear the kind of outfit that has you blending in with that "people of Walmart" website or whatever it is... lol).

Actually, it'd be really quite nice to be in a place where you felt FINE with wearing your gym clothes in public. That you couldn't give a crap, because you're comfortable with who you are, and dammit those stretchy pants are just much more comfortable than anything else, and don't require ironing anyway.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013),lemongrass  (14-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all replies but in my experience those mums that look a million dollars are more interested in image then their kids. A mum in our school is soooooo stuck up, hair , nails, car, snob snob snob. I never knew who she was as the au pair did drop off and pick ups every day. Until her husband slept with the au pair. The point is. She looks great, no interest in the kids at all anda marriage that is a disaster. School mornings its more important that DDs hairs done than mine. I never cared that much about clothes before I had them. Even less now! I do wish I had more time for thingsido consider import though. Like time with DH, exercise etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 13-10-2013 at 20:36.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-10-2013)