+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not personally offended by the post. I do not necessarily agree that a lack of make up or `neat and tidy' clothes equates to not looking after yourself though. But, I am very aware that I do not want to have my kids dressed better than me. I always get properly dressed for the day (this does not mean high heels or fancy clothes), jeans and a cute top, a long skirt and a singlet whatever. I think if the post was coming from a place of `it's important for Mum's to put themselves somewhere near the top of the list of importance' then I agree. There will always be times in your kids lives where you are at the bottom, and there is literally no time for anything extra, but when things are cruising along, I do think it is important that you make time for yourself, to do some small thing that nurtures you (not necessarily spending time on your physical appearance).
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 14-10-2013 at 14:07.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Only over the last year or so have I started doing things for me. Wearing nicer fitting clothes, make up, eating better. I even got my eyebrows waxed, watch out!

Does this mean I'll have more friends now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes, but they'll all be shallow b!tches

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-10-2013),Boobycino  (14-10-2013),dancingchipmunk  (16-10-2013),Mathermy  (14-10-2013),MilkingMaid  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I have noticed a trend in mums who appear to put a lot of time into being great mums but no time into their own lives. By that I mean, they appear to play with their kids, take them to activities, provide healthy food and dress their kids in lovely outfits that look clean and ironed, yet they don't appear to put nearly near as much effort into their own lives. Whilst being great mums to their kids, they appear to eat unhealthy food, do little exercise and wear ill fitting, daggy clothes and have unwashed and untidy hair.

I don't think lack of time is the only answer, because it only takes 2 minutes to tie hair in a neat pony tail, and further, it takes the same amount of time to put on daggy Ill fitting clothes, as it does to put on an inexpensive, but neat and tidy outfit.

Why do some mums put so much effort into their kids and zero into themselves?
    I dunno. Why do some mums waste their days worrying about what their fellow mum wears, does or how she takes care of herself? If she's a good parent who cares! Live and let live darling

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A really good reason not to judge other mothers for this, is the fact it could be depression. During my PND I thankfully was Able to keep it together and be a good parent, but as for myself? I was totally a slob. Depression is crippling. Especially when it gets to the point where you can't find the motivation to get in the shower every morning. When I literally felt like i was crumbling on the inside it showed on the outside. Make sense? So if anything maybe you should feel a bit of empathy for the scraggly mum. We assume because she's a good parent that she's coping fine but her unkempt hair and daily junk food binges say otherwise. Just a bit of perspective from someone who's been there and came out the other side okay.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

Katness  (14-10-2013),MillieMollyMandy  (14-10-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why is it always the mums, too? I see plenty of dads wearing tracksuits, thongs, three day growth, no make up lol. Why do they get a free pass?

FTR, I think the dads look fine. As well as the tracksuit donning mums

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-10-2013),DaveTTC  (15-10-2013),Gandalf  (15-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting OP

I don't know. Maybe some feel there is not much they can achieve for themselves but want their kids to have all they missed out on.

That being said - the fact they they do what they do for their kids proves they are capable if much. There are many parents (not just mums) who take care if themselves but are lousy at looking out for their kids

To the last post. Yeah I can sport a 5 day growth at times and daggy clothes. Mind you always washed and clean. Why do men seem to get away with it more lol

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep this is me too lol. But not allways. I do make the effort when I can. But right now, and for the last month I have had shocking morning sickness and have struggled to do anything for myself. I sleep as much as humanly possible and really just do what needs doing for my children then lay down as soon as I can. But when I'm feeling better my hair is done, my clothes are ok, but I'd love some new ones but when you are poor and it's between clothes or food, well eating is always going to take precedence you know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Even though I said earlier that I always leave the house looking decent, this morning was an exception. You wouldn't have known I was a mother - I dropped DD off at school without leaving the car... but then decided I needed a coffee if I was going to get any housework done today, so went to the most bogan shopping centre nearby so I didn't feel so unattractive. Was wearing my work shoes (Crocs ballet flats), a cheap k-mart dress, hair in a ponytail done up with a kid's red bow really messily, and no make-up. I looked like crap... but meh. I was going home to clean... I don't want to ruin my nice clothes cleaning.

I think if "looking nice," isn't a priority for people it's no skin off my nose. I DO feel sorry for the mums who WANT to look nice, but don't know how to, don't have the time or money to, etc... but that's not the same as "couldn't care less."

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-10-2013),jagamoe  (15-10-2013),KaraB  (15-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes that's how I feel Sassy. I have all the time in the world to paint my nails, wear make up or whatnot and some days I do, other days I can't be assed. I do feel for mums who literally don't even get half an hour a day to sit and read, go for a walk with their ipod, just anything they wish to. Outward appearances don't really mean much to me though because perhaps they just have different priorities or a different sense of fashion. I know lots of women who just LOVE fitness wear and yet that was blasted here once, too.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-10-2013)