+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Payne Road was the big surprise for me! I almost didn't go there, but when I did it ticked a lot of boxes for me. Won't list all my notes as it's a couple of pages worth, but a few things that stood out for me...
    It’s a small school (which I am keen on). It is inclusive (special needs etc). They have a great vege patch and they grow produce for the tuckshop. They have nice grounds and a good hall. They parent satisfaction is high. Sports and music seem good. They finish earlier in the day than other schools, which is good for after school activities. They seem to manage behaviour and extension work and remedial work. Good attitude towards Naplan. Airconditioned classrooms. If there is something specific you wanted to know about I might have specific notes on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS Thanks for the heads up about Payne Road initially!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It certainly seems to be a hidden treasure!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeDoo For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! Although, their Naplan results are already very good, and the principal seems very sensible about it all. I didn't ask about prep program though since we are going into the middle school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point about high school, but DD will probably go to the Catholic high school I went to - I have thought about putting her in a school where other kids will go to that high school also - but at the end of the day you normally make new friends at high school anyway I think.
    Thanks for all those comments - much appreciated and more food for thought!
    Oakleigh seems excellent also :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInPuddles View Post
    Curious how you define this? I find an obsessive focus worrying in some schools.
    Yes, I realised this was a big of a vague statement! I personally don't believe Naplan is the be all and end all of a school's success and I don't like time being spent working on it or teaching to the test. All of the schools I went to were realistic about wanting to do well but acknowledging it is just a single piece of the puzzle and not spending a lot of time preparing. The Payne Rd principal said it is just a snapshot in time and they don't prepare for it. Hope that makes some sense!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeDoo For This Useful Post:

JumpingInPuddlesxxx  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi DeeDoo, did you just make an appointment with the principal and do a tour during school hours, or just show up? I need to do this soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDoo View Post
    Good point about high school, but DD will probably go to the Catholic high school I went to - I have thought about putting her in a school where other kids will go to that high school also - but at the end of the day you normally make new friends at high school anyway I think.
    It is probably less about friends and more about coming from a feeder school to ensure placement.

My kids go to a catholic primary school, and they will have priority for placement in the catholic high schools I have them down to attend as they are from a feeder school.

Kids from public schools are a lower priority for placement. Just another thing to consider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    It is probably less about friends and more about coming from a feeder school to ensure placement.
    Good point, thanks, but as I am alumni and DD's name is already down we are good for a place, so luckily that's not something I need to worry about :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Hi DeeDoo, did you just make an appointment with the principal and do a tour during school hours, or just show up? I need to do this soon.
    Since I am not in the catchment for the schools I am looking at, and DD will be going into an older year and not prep, I started by emailing or calling the school to check they had space. Most of them then offered for me to come in for a tour. With 4 of the 5 schools I made a time to meet with the principal and took a list of questions with me, then he (they were all male) or someone else showed me around.
    If you have time up your sleeve and you are looking at a private school then it's a good idea to see when their school tours are coming up.
    Hope that helps!