+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default A reading round robin

I love books, and I love talking about books. And there are always loads of 'recommend me a book' threads on BH. So I thought I would start a game, and here is how is works:

i recommend 3 books, then the next person to post must pledge to read one of those 3 books, and in turn recommends up to 3 of their own. Subsequent posters must pledge to read one of the previously mentioned books before recommending any. And you have to come back and say what you think of the books that you have pledged to read.

The idea is to try to 'sell' your recommendations as much as possible so people will read them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My recommendations:

the Diviners by Libba Bray
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Diviners-L.../dp/031612611X

this book is a little bit Miss Phryne Fisher, and a little bit Mortal Instruments. I loved all the 20's slang and fashion, and loved the supernatural elements. A real page turner and despite its length, really only seems like the introduction to a much much bigger story.

Just Between us by various authors
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ust-between-us
    A collection of short stories by well loved Australian women writers on female friendships. A topic that is endlessly fascinating and really not explored very much.

the Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Ocean-End-.../dp/0062255657

Neil Gaiman is a master story teller and writes modern fables better than most. I am not a fan of fantasy but I am a huge fan of Neil Gaiman. This is a creepy, creepy book. It reminds me of Coraline- the concept of parents not really being parents but malevolent forces. Gaiman also writes children really well I think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love this idea. I have just downloaded the ocean at the end of the lane on my kindle and will start reading over the weekend. I am insanely tired so can barely remember my name let alone think of books to recommend but I will come back tomorrow, when my brain is fresher, with 3 recommendations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At work, but will be back XD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    My recommendations:

Just Between us by various authors
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ust-between-us
    A collection of short stories by well loved Australian women writers on female friendships. A topic that is endlessly fascinating and really not explored very much.
    I won a copy of this book a couple of months ago and haven't had a chance to read it yet...but I'll start reading it tonight, now that you've recommended it.

I'll come back and post my thoughts on it after I've finished it

Thanks
    Reviews
    My recommendations:

Gogo Mama by Sally Sara
    This is 12 indivual stories about woman in Africa. I read this at a time when I was suffering major 'first world problems' and feeling quite upset with my life - this book gave a while new perspective. There is some very harrowing stuff in this book but the bravey of these women is amazing - a great book.

Scar tissue by Anthony Kiedis
    I picked this because I figure there are lots of people on this site who, like me, are busy with kids and want easy reads. This is fascinating, a really entertaining page turner and doesn't require much concentration. It is an autobiography about Anthony Kiedis, the frontman of band red hot chilli peppers.

Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking by Susan Cain
    As the name suggests a book about introverts. As an introvert I was very excited about this book and enjoyed reading it - it was validating and interesting. A great insight into introverts in general, in business and the influence they have had on the world.

I am half way through 'the ocean at the end of the lane' but will reserve my opinion for when I am finished
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 29-09-2013 at 09:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh I'm going to read Quiet. always on the look out for good non fic, I find it hard to find things that take my interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have finished reading 'the ocean at the end of the lane' I enjoyed it - although I'm not quite sure what I just read, very strange tale. I liked the way it was written, it really had that childlike feeling to it.
    As a bit of an aside the opening line of the acknowledgements gave me the biggest smile (probably because I always read the acknowledgements and wonder why I bother).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone else want to get in on this? (I need more books to read )

Thanks
    Reviews
    My recommendations:

Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon. I've read the whole series and always reread from the start when a new book is released.

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Based around Vikings and Saxons

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. A classic.

I haven't read a new book in ages (well since bub was born). I just reread because I know I don't have the time or energy to take in a new one. My kindle is filled with new books that I'm not getting to