+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The transition to part time work

Pre-baby, I worked full time, took 7 months off and have now been back at work for 4 weeks, 3 days per week. However I'm struggling a bit to get used to working part time. My manager is very conscious of not overloading me with work, however there are only 2 of us in our team so if there is anything that I can't do, it falls on her and she already has a massive workload. I have also agreed to review my working arrangements in Feb to consider going up to working 4 days (my request, not theirs), so I'm concerned that if too much work is being shifted to my manager, she might say no to 4 days and say I have to come back 5 days.

I think I manage my time really well, I have a short term and long term to do list and give each item a due date, even if it doesn't have a set deadline, and I review and re-prioritise each morning to make sure everything urgent is done that day. I set aside half an hour when I first arrive and 15 minutes after lunch to read and file emails and then add the tasks to my to do list so I don't feel overwhelmed by a full inbox.

So how did you deal with transitioning from full time to part time, do you have any tips for me? :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, I also returned 3 days and we have similar jobs so I know his busy it can be. Honestly, the only way I can keep up is to do work in the evenings and days off. Not logging in but definitely answering emails.
    I don't mind as every little thing done is less for me to do when I'm in the office so I can focus on real work, especially non-desk stuff.

I'm also moving to four days as of next week, at works request. We are trialling it until the end of the year but I am sure I'll be fine with it and will continue on 4 days.

Do you have a work phone that you can access work emails on? I always turn it off around 7pm though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kw123, sorry I meant to come back and thank you for your response. I don't have a work phone but can access works systems from my laptop at home. I'm not sure how I'll go with being part time indefinitely, as you can appreciate in our type of work, matters are often time sensitive and if someone tries to contact me on Thursday night, I'm then not back at work until Tuesday morning which is a long time for an issue to just be sitting there with no action. I think once I go up to 4 days, I'll be able to add a lot more value again. Thanks again :-)

ETA - how are you going working 4 days, this was your first week of it wasn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to 3 days when I finished maternity leave. I was a travel consultant in a travel wholesaler call centre so it was the type of job I could do while there and not bring it home with me. I didn't find it too difficult except my getting sales was limited.

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I plan on going back 3 days next April I hope I can manage as bub will be 6 months old and won't be starting childcare until she is just over 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah today's my day off but I've already taken two work calls and a few emails lol!

Next week is my first 4 day week. I'm feeling ok about it. Will see how we go!