+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cake-making business advice

This question is for my sister

She makes awesome cakes, and has made cakes for kids birthday parties as well as friend's engagement parties and 21'st birthday parties.

After DS's party I got a couple of people enquire whether she could make a cake for their kids party - these were from one parent and a friend of another parent.

My sister is unsure if she is allowed to bake cakes and get paid for it without having a commercial kitchen licence? Does anyone know the rules about this?? She doesn't have an ABN or anything like that, just loves doing it for friends/family.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I have no idea but I am the same. I make them in lieu of gifts, for cost or barter. I only ever do them for people I know. I think if you make a business out of it you need to pass so many health and safety codes etc the health department cam be really strict as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did know of a woman with a Facebook page who used to basically take orders over her page. She'd post daily saying what she was baking (usually macarons). I can't remember what her page was called now... She just used to bake from home.

Oh well, I guess she can look on the net or ask around. I was sure BH would know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm sure cake making at home could be deemed as a hobby. The income most likely wouldn't be regular, consistent, or even very significant so I don't think your sister would have any worries in that regards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that if it was for friends, acquaintances and alike there wouldn't be too much problem. I do know though to cook in a home kitchen in NSW for commercial purposes you have to get a specific licence from NSW food authority. Sorry I can't be more specific it was a whole ago that my friend was looking in to it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - yeah she just does it as a hobby and doesn't have any particular interest in doing it as a business, however doesn't want to open herself up for legal action should the unthinkable happen (people get sick).

Thanks all. Will direct her to the food authority website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a lot of people do cake making from home, I don't know the rules for it though. I found one lady on Facebook and another through Gumtree. They quoted me between $120-$180 for a "Hoot" cake so if she does do it make sure she charges enough.

A quick google search found this http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/.../#.UkYHL4binng
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 28-09-2013 at 08:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She will need to contact the environmental health department of her local council and chat to an EHO to figure out if she needs a license or not. If she wants to bake cakes and sell them even if its a hobby, she might need to get a food registration with her local council. This is mainly to ensure that everything is clean and hygienic and no one will be falling sick or something. If she is not selling, then she does not need a license. I know in Victoria you need a food registration, but not sure about the other states. Hope this helps.