+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mainly cost. I work, so our routine doesn't change at all. Still have to get up, make breakfast, lunches, get dressed, drop kids off etc. - so there's no 'break' for us. Vacation care is expensive for DD, DS's family daycare mum usually takes a week off so I have to then find alternate care for him as well. (I can take leave but everybody wants leave on the holidays so it gets shared around). Then on the days that I'm home I feel so guilty because DD is sad that all of her friends have been catching up, going out, going on holidays etc. that I feel that I need to do something FUN with her so that when she goes back to school she has something to talk about. And we really can't afford it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Earlier this year when I wasn't working, DD and I had a full two weeks off together for the easter school holidays and I absolutely loved it. We did something fun every day and it was great to just be together without such a busy schedule.

Now that I am back working full time, DD has gone interstate to stay with her grandma for the holidays. While I'm enjoying just looking after myself for a change, I also feel really awful that she is having holiday fun and bonding with other people I really miss her

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=SassyMummy;7468872]place)

I wouldn't mind if it other people didn't exist QUOTE] I imagine a lot of other people feel that way too. I used to live in a very small, very tourist-driven coastal town and that was the main complaint the locals would make during school hols- shops, streets and beach being invaded by a million people, essentially doubling the population overnight. Now I live in the city and sometimes love being here during holidays, especially at Christmas as it basically becomes a ghost town as the opposite happens- everyone leaves and the shops close for weeks on end. It's very strange. On the whole though, I find school hols a bit of a drag I think largely because I'm single- it means I have the kids on my own for days at a time, no break, no-one to share the load with or ease the stress of constantly trying to keep them entertained. When my ex was around it was easier (in spite of the conflict between us ) because he could take them off for half a day to the pool or whatever and I could get housework etc done or just have some time to myself. Now, although he still spends time with them during holidays, I have them with me for 5 days straight each week and let me tell you, that is not fun as a 24 hour thing with a 3 and 5 year old who have become used to the stimulation of school/preschool. Obviously I try and make the best of it but it's tiring to say the least!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the school holidays the sleep ins the doing things with the kids fun fun fun i love it and every minute of it except the fighting but they get over it soon enough.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to madreader For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My husband works 6 long days. I usually love school holidays but with a 5yr old and a 3yr old who fight and destroy my house, 3yr old has SPD and craves alone time but doesn't get it on school holidays and a 3 month old with reflux and allergies we're trying to sort out, who cries all day and needs to be held all day - makes my days very long and hard.

I enjoy not having to do school runs and make lunches but its only been one week and I am completely and utterly shattered and dreading the next week.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have mixed feelings on holidays. On one hand it's nice to have the kids home, no uniforms and school lunches, sleep ins.

But then the kids fight a bit, they constantly want to do stuff which hurts the hip pocket. And DH and I are both studying with assignments due this holidays and it's been so difficult to get a run on, thinking deeply with kids nagging you " muuuuum, DS is hitting me", "muuum I want a drink... then something to eat... can you put a movie on for me....I can't find my toy".

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I agree

It really gets me when people dread having the kids at home. How would they feel if their parent said directly to them "I'm dreading having you at home" Just because it's not said directly to them doesn't make it better.
    Im looking forward to what I don't have to do as much as what we are going to do. I don't have to worry about having the packed lunches ready. About his uniform or homework being done. As well as simply having time together. 5 days a week they are away from us for most of the day. I'm looking forward to just having him with me. Yes it will probably mean I have to do more housework cos he's home making more mess but you expect that when you have a child. There will be less telling him off cos I won't be rushing with demands "get your socks on, hurry up and eat your breakfast, come on we need to brush your teeth, now, come on or we will be late"
    Holidays are relaxing. Make the most of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarie View Post
    It really gets me when people dread having the kids at home. How would they feel if their parent said directly to them "I'm dreading having you at home" Just because it's not said directly to them doesn't make it better.
    Im looking forward to what I don't have to do as much as what we are going to do. I don't have to worry about having the packed lunches ready. About his uniform or homework being done. As well as simply having time together. 5 days a week they are away from us for most of the day. I'm looking forward to just having him with me. Yes it will probably mean I have to do more housework cos he's home making more mess but you expect that when you have a child. There will be less telling him off cos I won't be rushing with demands "get your socks on, hurry up and eat your breakfast, come on we need to brush your teeth, now, come on or we will be late"
    Im sure we all wish we felt this way. I look forward to having my son with me too. I dont look forward to the bickering between DS1 and DS2. The constant whinge of "im huuuuungry" every 2 minutes no matter how much I feed him. I dont look forward to DS3 not getting proper naps because his brothers wake him.

I do get stressed out when its holidays. I wish I didnt. I try not to. But I do not tell my son that I dread holidays nor do I act like it around him. But way to go, thanks for making me feel like a terrible mother.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 21-07-2014 at 18:55.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmarie View Post
    Pfft! I've got 3 kids! And yep, I enjoyed not having to make lunches, get school uniform ready and doing stuff with my kids, but nope, I didn't enjoy the bickering, lack of routine and the amount of money I spent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love school holidays too. Quite often dh and I take school holidays off and we go to the city. It's great relaxing and doing stuff with the kids. These school holidays I stayed home with the boys and it's been great just chillin around the house, taking the boys out on their bikes, catching up with friends and it hasn't been an extra expense either. There's plenty to do with the kids without spending if you don't want to.