Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Things I LOVE about school holidays;
    * Lazy morning sleep ins and snuggles
    * Fun activities
    * Outings
    * Spending time with the kids, the awesome conversations we end up having
    * Seeing my 3 kids get along, play together, problem solve together etcetcetc

Things I LOATH about school holidays.
    * The CONSTANT nagging for food, even though I write up set menus for the day
    * The extra housework
    * The sibling rivalry and fighting
    * Activities and outings are never enough
    * Afternoons/evenings are always chaos, either from excitement from a fun day or boredom (whereas after school is always structured and calm)
    * Lack of routines

I do enjoy the holidays, I know the kids need the break, normally my three are so blah by the end of the term, but unfortunately, the holidays aren't full of rainbows and butterflies, it's definitely a lot of hard work and I do enjoy the first few days of PEACE once school starts up again, so I'm guilty of counting down the days till they're back in school and normal routine resumes, BUT in saying that, the good moments we do end up having make the holidays worthwhile

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MamaDuck For This Useful Post:

madreader  (28-09-2013),Mod-Myztik  (27-09-2013),mumoftwoboys2005  (27-09-2013),twotrunks  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree fFrenchie, and I do understand your desire to word it carefully because I feel the same and I do feel sad generally when I hear people hate school holidays (not for work/care reasons).

I LOVE school holidays. I love having the kids at home. I love not having a schedule and being free to enjoy the time. They don't need constant entertainment from me, they make their own fun a lot of the time. There are fights, but I find not as many as school days when they are tired and irritable, both in the mornings after I have to wake them up and in the afternoon after a big day at school. I don't think you need to do expensive activities to keep them happy on school holidays. Take the bikes to the park, rent some DVD's, go to the public swimming pool. There are a million activities you could do at home on pinterest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I absolutely LOVE school holidays

Firstly I'm a teacher so it means I'm on holidays too!!

But in regard to bing a parent with a school aged child I really love it.

The boys and I ...
    - get to go to the beach regularly (we live in a coastal town)
    - swim in our pool daily
    - catch up with friends (most of my teacher friends from work have kids too)
    - I can choose day time gym sessions with the crèche
    - we cook
    - paint
    - play Lego
    - put on tattoos (never do this during school term)
    - chill in front of the telly and generally just do whatever the heck we want without looking at the clock!!

I don't find it costs me any extra as I mine are still young (5&2) so I don't need to do things that cost money. There's probably less boredom as during the working week I have packing lunches/preparing school work etc. to do. I love love love holidays!!!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can see both sides tbh! I used to absolutely DREAD the school holidays when the kids were little (pre-school & toddler). Without kinder, creche and playgroups, it meant I was in charge 24/7*2. And OMG the summer holidays were endless! It was exhausting. Chasing after them, rescuing them from whatever predicament they had gotten into, breaking up fights, wiping tears... I love my kids to death but at that age, looking after them without having a break and routine was haaaaarrrrrrd

Now I have a preppie and a preschooler and its all totally different. I love love love school holidays. Yesterday for the first time ever, the three of us got on our bikes and rode to the park. Noone had a meltdown, I didn't have to carry anyone or anything home - they got themselves there and got themselves home again. Today I'm taking them to the shops for groceries and then we are meeting friends at the park for lunch. Its totally different to when they were little, I love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also love school holidays! A break from your kids!! Lol

Hubby and I are both teachers so I can't wait to spent time together with our little one when she arrives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love love love the school holidays! But, I hated it when DS started school because I missed him lol

I love hanging out with him, i love him coming to uni with me, i love that the kids get to spend more time together. I set a budget for weekly activities on the school holidays to make sure we don't over spend and we always aim for at least 1 pj day a week. We also have friends that we make sure we spend a day with each holidays (in the park) and DS's best mates mum works so we always have him at least a few days

Like most things in life...it is what you make of it. Most things can be a positive thing if you look at it right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaDuck View Post
    Things I LOVE about school holidays;
    * Lazy morning sleep ins and snuggles
    * Fun activities
    * Outings
    * Spending time with the kids, the awesome conversations we end up having
    * Seeing my 3 kids get along, play together, problem solve together etcetcetc

Things I LOATH about school holidays.
    * The CONSTANT nagging for food, even though I write up set menus for the day
    * The extra housework
    * The sibling rivalry and fighting
    * Activities and outings are never enough
    * Afternoons/evenings are always chaos, either from excitement from a fun day or boredom (whereas after school is always structured and calm)
    * Lack of routines

I do enjoy the holidays, I know the kids need the break, normally my three are so blah by the end of the term, but unfortunately, the holidays aren't full of rainbows and butterflies, it's definitely a lot of hard work and I do enjoy the first few days of PEACE once school starts up again, so I'm guilty of counting down the days till they're back in school and normal routine resumes, BUT in saying that, the good moments we do end up having make the holidays worthwhile
    Agree entirely. Although we only have one DS to deal with. We find the same. The routine goes out the window and makes bed time a bit of a battle and he is eating me out of home.. I'm sure he is just eating from boredom or because its just there- but a bag of grapes should last more than two days IMO.

The main thing I don't enjoy is the cost. We can't win- we either spend just as much as I earn on holiday care or we take leave and seem to spend quite a bit on activities and food. Being an only child I'm constantly having to have play dates or planned activities for ds or he gets bored and I feel bad having him play by himself for more than a day or so. Mostly my own guilt there.. But it can be exhausting constantly finding stimulation and not just letting him watch tv all day.

I do enjoy the time. It's def. not what I would call 'a holiday' for me and between df and I we use all our leave to cover it so we don't really get a family holiday anymore. But we enjoy the time with him without the usual weekend rush to balance chores and fun. We went swimming all day yesterday and had a great day together. I know he prefers hanging out with us than holiday care so we try and make the most of our time together.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 27-09-2013 at 07:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loathe them because everywhere is crowded, but my DS is pre school age and I'm a sahm, our problem is that we don't go out so much as it's too busy. So we both end up getting cabin fever at home! It also means his weekly soccer etc is not on either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

White Mage  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I look forward to school holidays, I enjoy it. I will say by the end I am glad when school is back so I can get a break from my school aged child - yes that's right, I enjoy getting a break from my kids. Not because I don't enjoy my kids but because I have 3 of them, I am solo parenting most of the time (and will be all these school holidays) and I am human so therefore require a break sometimes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I just don't like spending 24/7 with my DS. I don't know many who do! It's normal to want a break. I was really glad to get back to work 3 days after 9 months off.

ETA: I would love a couple of weeks with him of course but not much longer lol