+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Child Support. Should the BIO still pay for their LO if the mother has married?

I am almost $5000 in support arrears for my LO.

Ex refuses to pay because I have married and had another child. In ex's eyes his bio child is my DH's responsibility now.

Ex has done every single thing possible I believe to avoid the agency and paying. He is working for cash in hand, under an ABN, has his car and bank accounts in other family members names, you name it, he seems to be fluent in all the loopholes.

So I was just wondering. Does anyone else believe my DH should be responsible for my LO, because he married me? Does that give the bio parent the right to chronically avoid paying CS for his child? In my ex's (and his family as well, but that's another story) opinion ex has washed his hands of me, and his child, so he is no longer responsible, financially or otherwise, because I chose to get married to a lovely man who has taken on my LO as his own.

Ex has not seen his child for 6 years. Child is now 8 years old. Bio has never sent a birthday card, never sent a Christmas present. Nothing.

In the very beginning of my relationship with DH, I tried to maintain contact with ex, and also encouraged ex to have access to his child, but ex was never really interested. I have heard he denies this, and says I cut him off from seeing his child, which is another reason why he believes he should not be liable for child support.

Anyway I am interested in others' opinions on this. I suppose it comes down to ex not having any contact with his child, and being liable for child support or not? Should liable parents be able to ignore their legal responsibilities because a parent partners up, or marries?

TIA x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course he should still pay for his child!! What an eejit.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (26-09-2013),Witwicky  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I will add that my DH has been responsible for my LO since we met. He supports my LO in every aspect and never complains. Ever. He is what a real father is made of!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (26-09-2013),Meld85  (26-09-2013),mrswhitehouse  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hell no! He is still liable, it's his child regardless if he wants to admit it. He sounds like a complete ar*e. Will he sign his rights away so you can all move on? I'm remarried & my partner has taken my son on as his own but his father is still liable to pay child support. In saying that it doesn't sound like you will ever get anything from him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Um. Yeah. Bio parents should still pay child support if their ex remarries.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes yes yes of course he should... I went through something similar when DD was little. Thankfully the ex grew up and realised he was being a douche bag!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MeeG For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Unless you fell pregnant on purpose without your ex's knowledge (holes in the condom etc) then your ex should still pay. If he was worried about not having access he should have hired a lawyer.

That being said if a bio dad isn't around (passed away, di@khead etc) then a step dad should step up and help take care of their wife's child. Which is exactly what your hubby has done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lucky for your LO he has a real man in his life to love him. Your DH sounds like a wonderful man!
    Your ex should still be financially responsible. Without a doubt!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013),GlitterFarts  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No brainier Cicho, he is as slippery as an eel.

What a disgraceful person.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (26-09-2013),Ellewood  (26-09-2013),SpecialK  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    . Will he sign his rights away so you can all move on? .
    I have actually considered this, although my LO knows they have another parent out there (I gave age-appropriate detail) and ex is on the birth cert. as the father. I suspect he might sign away seeings as that gets him off financially but then I think why should I give ex that option?

Everything so far has been ex's choice. He chose not to maintain contact. He chose to hide and avoid paying child support, and when I do get a payment (clearly not very often) then he gets to choose how much and when I receive it!

I suppose that is a bit selfish on my part but why should I just give ex what he wants, which is to be rid of CS for good.