+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    It's okay for adults to swear but not children? Hmmm okay.
    Well... yes. That's my whole point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I teach my children that they are grown up words. For little ones I ignore, for older ones timeout followed by yet another discussion about why they can't use that word.

i don't stop people swearing around my kids(not that many do). We have family rules and clear consequences if that rule it broken. My children are taught to follow those rules regardless of what others do around them. That includes everything from swearing to hats on outside. I would never ask an adult to stop swearing, I would simply move my child away if it was excessive. They need to learn, we can't shelter them from everything but we can educate them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't swear, apart from b*gger, when we DD2 was 2 she started saying it - always appropriately and it did sound cute and funny! But not really something we wanted to encourage so I made a conscious effort to stop saying it and whenever DD said it we ignored it, and she stopped using it. All up she only said it 4 times.

DH used to swear quite a bit before we had kids but now rarely does, even when the kids aren't around. Most of our friends have kids and don't swear but BIL does swear qiite a bit and DH will remind him "not in front of the kids".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (27-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    I teach my children that they are grown up words. For little ones I ignore, for older ones timeout followed by yet another discussion about why they can't use that word.

i don't stop people swearing around my kids(not that many do). We have family rules and clear consequences if that rule it broken. My children are taught to follow those rules regardless of what others do around them. That includes everything from swearing to hats on outside. I would never ask an adult to stop swearing, I would simply move my child away if it was excessive. They need to learn, we can't shelter them from everything but we can educate them!
    In saying that... It depends on how old your child is & how much they understand. DS gets very confused if I put him in timeout because he has repeated or done something his grandpa/grandma/uncle had said or done. I don't think it's fair either.
    I'd feel so silly putting him in timeout because I said "f***" and he repeated it.
    When he's older and understands that some words are bad, that's a different story. Until then, I'm more than happy to ask friends & family not to swear when they do. It works for us. Nobody ever gets offended or disagrees. I'm just glad they're understanding. Of course they all slip & I have had DS say a few things but they always tell him that it's naughty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my DS that when he uses words like that it makes mummy really sad & I cry. He doesn't use them anymore & he always pulls us up when we use they by saying 'don't say that word'

DH 37 + me 33 = DS1 3.5 & DS2 10 wks

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD went through an awful stage at about 2 and kept dropping the fbomb and I mean all the time. Lets just say she went through the terrible 2's with a vengeance. We tried ignoring it and she would repeat it until she finally got a raise out of us, we tried explaining it was not a nice word but she was cunning and quickly worked out she had the capacity to cause massive destruction in public by saying this word (and massive humiliation!!). This was no ordinary behaviour this was an act of defiance from a very smart and intelligent 2 year old girl. Some may argue that she did not understand what she was doing but mark my words she had it well and truly sussed!! So we started making threats - she would get her mouth washed out with soap if she continued. She laughed at us and sometimes even had the cheek to bring us the soap! It all came to a big ugly head one day at the Dr surgery when I said she could not play my phone and she loudly shouted back at me "oh *****". The nasty accusing stares around the room, the look of shock on many an old biddies face. I quietly whispered in her ear if she ever said that word again I would make good on my threat! Sure enough at home a few hours later BOOM she says it again and without hesitation I got the liquid hand soap and proceeded to wash her mouth out with soap! Can I say she never repeated that word (or any bad words) again. It was a last resort and I am not a fan of physical punishment at all but something had to be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    DD went through an awful stage at about 2 and kept dropping the fbomb and I mean all the time. Lets just say she went through the terrible 2's with a vengeance. We tried ignoring it and she would repeat it until she finally got a raise out of us, we tried explaining it was not a nice word but she was cunning and quickly worked out she had the capacity to cause massive destruction in public by saying this word (and massive humiliation!!). This was no ordinary behaviour this was an act of defiance from a very smart and intelligent 2 year old girl. Some may argue that she did not understand what she was doing but mark my words she had it well and truly sussed!! So we started making threats - she would get her mouth washed out with soap if she continued. She laughed at us and sometimes even had the cheek to bring us the soap! It all came to a big ugly head one day at the Dr surgery when I said she could not play my phone and she loudly shouted back at me "oh *****". The nasty accusing stares around the room, the look of shock on many an old biddies face. I quietly whispered in her ear if she ever said that word again I would make good on my threat! Sure enough at home a few hours later BOOM she says it again and without hesitation I got the liquid hand soap and proceeded to wash her mouth out with soap! Can I say she never repeated that word (or any bad words) again. It was a last resort and I am not a fan of physical punishment at all but something had to be done.
    That's what I mean! It's all fun and games at 2. They do it to get a rise out of you or think it's funny. I can sit down and tell DS "Mr! F*** is a naughty word. You shouldn't use it." He'd probably laugh at me and say "okay mummy. F***" with a huge grin on his face.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (28-09-2013)