+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As a nanny the 6 year old learnt the word b*tch from school and taught it to his 2 year old brother - when I heard him teach it to his younger sibling I told him off (as I'd told him the previous few days it was a nasty word and to not copy the boy from school) and then I put him to bed immediately and he stayed their all night, I took away toys and books so he was in his room alone with nothing. It shocked him and his little brother into never saying it again!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerseypoppy For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stop swearing in front of them and get your family and friends to stop swearing in front of them. I'm the swear nazi. I don't let my friends or family swear in front of DS. Sometimes they slip, of course, but I get them to apologize for being naughty if DS hears them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Stop swearing in front of them and get your family and friends to stop swearing in front of them. I'm the swear nazi. I don't let my friends or family swear in front of DS. Sometimes they slip, of course, but I get them to apologize for being naughty if DS hears them.
    Really? But he's going to hear someone swearing eventually, you know that right? People need to just teach their child not to swear. Not try and control everyone else's vocabulary in the vicinity of their child.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-09-2013),Gandalf  (27-09-2013),HarvestMoon  (26-09-2013),RoseBetweenTheThorns  (26-09-2013),Tazzy  (28-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's just a matter of teaching them its adult words. We all slip from time to time.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Most of our friends are childless and don't usually have to consider children. We do pull them up if they swear but it's too late when they have already said it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm....this is my biggest fear.
    Of course hubby & I might accidentally drop an f bomb while driving or of something frustrated us.
    We try not to in front of DD aged 2 but we aren't perfect.
    To date, she hang said it.
    But I'm sure she will pick up on it some day. If not from us by accident, it will be from a friend who drops it, the TV or other kids. I'm sure other kids at day care, kindergarten or primary school probably say these things when she attends.
    I'm not sure how I would handle it, probably just explain it's not a nice thing to say. And not give her a huge reaction.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't taboo words and they'll lose interest when they don't garner the attention it usually provokes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS went through a phase of swearing when he learned a few choice words at kinder. The more I carried on and told him off, the more he got off on my reaction and the more he did it. In the end I had to just ignore it and he eventually stopped. He's now 6 and barely swears at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Really? But he's going to hear someone swearing eventually, you know that right? People need to just teach their child not to swear. Not try and control everyone else's vocabulary in the vicinity of their child.
    No sh1t Sherlock. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Luckily for me, my family and friends are very understanding and know better. My son is only 2 so *WHEN* he hears somebody else swear, I'll deal with it then. Until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Asking somebody not to swear in front of your child really isn't a big deal. Id like to hope people have a bigger vocabulary. Surely asking them not to use the words f***, b1***, c*nt etc. won't kill them. It surprises me that people think it's okay to swear in front of a child. It's okay for adults to swear but not children? Hmmm okay. I'm pretty sure adults should be the ones leading by example.
    Last edited by SugarSkull; 27-09-2013 at 11:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My child has learnt a naughty word from his aunty.... which I was really upset about.... $hit.

I pulled his aunty up on it when she said it... I told her off saying it was naughty.... and then ds yelled at her... now ds gets up me for saying "oh my gosh" and oh my goodness me hahaha.