+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default studying with a preschooler vs. a school aged child

I'm trying to decide (if I go for it) on when to enrol in a Masters in Health Sci. I'd study part time initially. DS is 2.5 now, and I think studying next year is not going to happen, as we will prob be moving around the time of the first semester starting. Plus I need to make absolutely sure I want to do this course by getting some work exp in the field first.

So I'm trying to weigh up btwn starting studying when he is nearly 4 (would be in daycare 2-3 days/ week) and leaving it till when he is nearly 5 (would be at school then -he's very social, confident at daycare and great verbally, so I can't imagine leaving it till the next year).

If I started when he was almost 4, it might be tricky to have to keep changing his daycare days as semester timetables varied, but the advantage would be that I would get to start my course earlier (and so finish it and be earning earlier). We would prob have to do at least one out-of-town prac, so I'd imagine it would be easier to take him with me for that than uprooting him from school when he's older.

But the advantage of waiting till he is at school is that he would be there 5 days a week, so the only thing I'd have to juggle when timetables changed would be after and/or before school care. Oh and holidays - this course is likely to have pracs during uni breaks.

Anyone else had the same predicament? Or had any other issues crop up at different ages of their children - any other things I need to consider? The other thing I thought of is that starting school is a big milestone for a child and perhaps it's too much change for me to be starting studying at that time as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    daycare is easier because it covers longer hours...i have had to try and juggle tutes at 8am or 4pm etc and that sucks

uni holidays and school holidays are never the same

Is it 1 year?

I would do it last year daycare/first year primary. Usually, uni doesn't start till March so it means you can be around for the shorter days/no Wednesdays that many schools do and already be well accustomed to the uni routine while trying to juggle the additional stuff school requires (you spend lots more time at school than at preschool/daycare).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

anemone  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    just chiming in - I have a 5yo in kindy & literally juggle everything in between pick up & drop off.. it's 5 days but basically only a few hours to do everything before he's home again!
    daycare hours are better

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

anemone  (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. Yeah daycare hours are a lot better, arent they? I had no idea some schools were off on Weds. Also hadnt thought about school requirements in terms of being there myself!
    The course is 2 yrs FT, so I was thinking to do the first 2 years PT then the final year FT. It's still in the balance as to whether I actually do it, but I like to plan ahead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anemone View Post
    Thanks girls. Yeah daycare hours are a lot better, arent they? I had no idea some schools were off on Weds. Also hadnt thought about school requirements in terms of being there myself!
    The course is 2 yrs FT, so I was thinking to do the first 2 years PT then the final year FT. It's still in the balance as to whether I actually do it, but I like to plan ahead!
    In lots of public schools...the prep don't go on Wednesdays for the first month or so. They do all the testing and stuff on Wednesdays so they give all the kids "appointment times" for that day and have one on one time with the teacher. It also gives the kids who have not done full time care a chance to adjust to being so busy

School is time consuming...school assembly, parents club, getting to know you bbq's, helping with reading time, excursions, canteen duty etc etc etc. Then add birthday parties and play dates ... seriously, it's exhausting as a parent as well as a kid lol You can do as little or as much as you want but, I feel that Prep/Foundation is a HUGE year for kids emotionally/developmentally/physically and it can be beneficial to be around as much as possible and also to learn lots and lots about the place they will be spending a huge chunk of their time for the next 7 years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

anemone  (07-10-2013)