+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private Primary School then Public High School

Hi all,

Just looking for your opinions...

We have found a private primary school that we really like. We really could see our son fitting in to the environment. We would have liked to have gone public but there are not any decent public primary schools in the local area.

The issue is the fees are affordable for the Primary School, but the Primary School works in conjunction with a High School and in Year 7 the kids move on to the High School Campus. We cannot afford to send all 3 kids to the High School but due to the Year 7 class moving over to the High School campus, the children will have completed a year at the High School.

Would you just choose the best public primary school from the available options, even though what they offer doesn't match what the private primary school offers?

Or would you go the Private Primary and then transfer the child from the High School in Year 8 to the only Public option in the area? My concern here is that they would have made friends and settled in after a year at the Private high school campus and may not want to move to the public high school. Or may find the transition from Private Schooling to Public Schooling really difficult?

The decision we make now will shape the rest of his future. We need to make a decision by early next year because if we chose to accept a spot in the private primary, we need to pay a non refundable deposit to secure his spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would it be possible to send your kids to the private high school if you went public primary and saved between now and high school entry?
    That is what we are planning on doing. Local public primary and saving for private high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where are you located? Because if in Queensland, year 7 will be in all high schools by 2015.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we will be doing public primary school, then private high school. In saying that though, we might try to transition DS into a private school (prep- y12) at about grade 5. Some private high schools have a specific private primary school that they buddy with who will get first priority. That's something to think about too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally (and this is just me), I'd choose the best primary school in the area and if that's the private school then I'd go private for primary. I think it's more important to get a good base of schooling in primary (reading, writing, maths etc) because if your kid is behind after primary they may always struggle. Its much easier to get them a good start then to have them try and catch up later.
    You also don't know what the future will bring. 7 years is a long time, you may have moved out of the area and be sending them to a different high school anyway. Or you may be in a better financial situation and can keep them in the same school.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn400 For This Useful Post:

tiny two feet  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a teacher. .. and I always said if I couldn't afford private all the way through I'd go for the best public primary and save my pennies for an excellent private high school.
    Unless there were no good public primary schools near us.
    Honestly. ..primary school is only as good as the teachers. .. all the extra facilities make it nice but a great teacher in the early years is the biggest thing.In high school I think the opportunities and facilities are equally important to the great teaching. That's just my opinion...

Then again you don't know how your situation may change over the next 7 years and you might be able to afford it all the way through??!! As the pp said.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

GM01  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the repliessweetseven - We are in SA and that is the only State that is not implenting Year 7 into High School at this stage.Robyn400 - I agree with this and this would be my first choice but my only concern is that if they transition into the High School for their Year 7 and build their foundations and friendships there they may not want to move and if are forced to move because we can't afford the High School then this may have a big impact on them.We are not very good savers unfortunately or I think mostly we are quite stretched now and don't really have extra money to save . We can afford to send them to private primary school because it is the same as what we are paying in childcare fees but the price more than triples once we get to the High School fees and well we can only just afford the primary school fees. I am concerned if we stretch ourselves too far then the kids will miss out in other areas, whereas if they go to a school that is not as good as the private primary school then we can provide better for them in other areas such as swimming lessons, club sports etc... I know 7-9 years is a long time and our position may change but what if it doesn't? I think after writing this reply, as much as I want to send the kids privately, we may just not be able to afford it unfortunately :/