+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    SIL had a registry. I deliberately ignored it, and most of her gifts weren't off the registry. It would've required a drive to a shop 60 mins from us and I like picking out baby gifts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm my partner and I will have everything and feel it may be a waste of people's money to buy us stuff we won't use I'd rather if everyone chipped $5 or $10 into something for one thing. That way it's cheaper than what they'd probably spend and we would use it and think of everyone but in saying that we probably won't do it when the time comes and if people wish to get us something then that's lovely and if not that's just as cool with us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymamabris View Post
    Hmmm my partner and I will have everything and feel it may be a waste of people's money to buy us stuff we won't use I'd rather if everyone chipped $5 or $10 into something for one thing. That way it's cheaper than what they'd probably spend and we would use it and think of everyone but in saying that we probably won't do it when the time comes and if people wish to get us something then that's lovely and if not that's just as cool with us.
    I thought I had most things (My baby shower was a surprise so I wasn't expecting to be given anything) but people still gave me things I hadn't even thought about getting, cute little clothes and toys that I didn't need but got plenty of use regardless, and beautiful handmade items that made us feel really special.

People like to ooh and ahh over cute baby stuff when you open it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have been to a few baby showers and enjoyed myself for the most part ( I find having to play a bunch of games abit tedious but that's my problem not theirs).

And now it's my turn to have a baby shower, I'm stressing myself out about it to the point that I don't know if its worth it. I don't want people to bring gifts, I don't like games, I want a small morning tea, but don't want to seem ungrateful requesting no gifts. I'm so irrational and I know it Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think guests would probably think having a no gifts rule was a breath of fresh air katey and def not ungrateful.

I attended a shower a few years ago, it was her first child and she had the shower at about 5 months pg (which I found a bit weird). She was more than happy to tell everyone that she had next to nothing for the baby so needed everything. The friend organising it decided she couldn't afford to put anything towards the party, nor could the mother to be, so guests were asked to bring a "baby basket of things" and a plate of food. I think it ended up costing me almost $100. The basket request made me laugh bc ya know.... one or two items weren't enough you had to fill a BASKET

She had another one for her second child and hardly anyone came, wonder why

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it's rude at all. Having a baby is a joyous occasion and it doesn't exactly happen everyday in your life.
    I think baby showers are a lovely way to celebrate and who cares if it's for a bit of gift grabbing? We all need help sometimes, especially when having kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think guests would probably think having a no gifts rule was a breath of fresh air katey and def not ungrateful.

I attended a shower a few years ago, it was her first child and she had the shower at about 5 months pg (which I found a bit weird). She was more than happy to tell everyone that she had next to nothing for the baby so needed everything. The friend organising it decided she couldn't afford to put anything towards the party, nor could the mother to be, so guests were asked to bring a "baby basket of things" and a plate of food. I think it ended up costing me almost $100. The basket request made me laugh bc ya know.... one or two items weren't enough you had to fill a BASKET

She had another one for her second child and hardly anyone came, wonder why
    So rude!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Consider my recent baby shower had food, wine, candy buffet, prizes and a thank you gift. I don't think receiving a gift would be considered a gift grab. The shower it's self probably cost similar to what I got in gifts. I loved being able to celebrate with my closes friends a family, the pressies were just a bonus not expected.

I see showers as a way of celebrating an extraordinary event. I'd buy a gift for a friend/family member regardless of if they has a shower or not so having a party to eat, mingle and have fun at is a bonus.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think baby showers should only be celebrated for the first bub. It's not about the first bub being more important than any other but it's a celebration of the couple (woman) becoming parents (a mum) - entering into this new stage in their lives.

I also think baby showers give family and friends a chance to be involved in the pregnancy, especially if you don't see them often.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 26-09-2013 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A celebration for a soon to be born baby is fine. If it is a second child it's a bit greedy to expect gifts. By that point you should have what you want/know what you need. Go get stuff yourself rather than expect people to get them for you. If you want gifts wait until baby is born, you'll get plenty of crap then.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (26-09-2013)