+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have one with my first but had a little shower with my second and loved it. I didn't care if I got gifts I just wanted to see my close friends and family and enjoy their company. I lived 3 hours away from them all at that point and I knew it was probably going to be the last Time I saw them before bub came.
    one person commented that I didn't get much stuff but that's not the point in my eyes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love baby showers. I don't care if its for the first baby or the 101st. I don't see them as a gift grab but a day to celebrate the mother and baby. Even if no gift is stated I still buy one. I go to a lot of effort to pick out a meaningful present and love seeing the look on someones face when they receive it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bumped into an old friend a little while ago and she told me she was pregnant andi was pregnant aswell so it was a good way to reconnect. We had a coffee then I didn't hear from her in ages until I got an invite to her baby shower, it said on the invite that they don't need anything for the baby but have booked a newborn photo shoot for when the baby is born so people coule contribute to that but didn't put any of the photographers details on the invite so obviously we would have to give them cash. To me that's a bit ig a gift grab as we weren't close anymore.

Another friend is pregnant and hee friend is organizing the baby shower and on the invite put a poem that said in it "shower her with gifts" she was so annoyed because now she is worried people will think she just wants gifts!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I feel every child should be celebrated! First second fifth boy or girl all are miracles. I had a baby shower for my second, kindly hosted by a friend I hope no one felt it was a gift grabbing event I was happy to just celebrate and having had a girl and #2 being a boy I was totally stoked to have gotten boy clothes and blue blankets!
    I did have some rude responses from some people whom I had invited who basically said one shouldn't have a baby shower for #2 but I told them its a celebration and I didn't need gifts and just wanted to celebrate... Can't win sometimes
    Really? That's so rude! It was so nice to celebrate ) I had fun shopping!! Wish I had more money cause I found heaps I wanted to buy you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love baby showers and have no qualms buying my friends presents to celebrate the new life they are creating.

For my DS I had a lovely poem in the invite saying that if people wanted to give us a gift, that in place of a conventional baby shower gift, could people please gift a book to our new baby with a handwritten message inside for him. The books we received are all very treasured and it brings tears to my eyes reading back some of the messages that our closest friends wrote to DS.

I do totally disagree with registers for gifts for a baby shower though.
    I was invited to one of these about two months before my own baby shower and could hardly afford anything on the list.

Although I technically 'requested' what people bought for my baby if they wanted to give a gift, I didnt expect people to spend up big - I had a number of friends who gave two or more books or a book and another gift because they didnt feel that one book was enough of a 'gift' and I certainly did not expect or ask for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Never had one and never been to one. My only impression of them is what I've read on BH over the years and they seem to be more trouble than they're worth! I like the idea of a blessingway/motherway though.
    Haha!

Based on BH pretty much everything is more trouble than it is worth. Weddings, engagements, going to the park, grocery shopping, dressing up at school pick up, dressing down at school pick up, getting petrol, parking at the shops with or without a pram, coffee tables, working, not working ...

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (26-09-2013),atomicmama  (26-09-2013),DaenerysT  (27-09-2013),ertgirl  (26-09-2013),Jakois  (26-09-2013),jb23  (26-09-2013),Lincolns mummy  (26-09-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-09-2013),TimeForWine  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love baby showers and most other celebrations. I always buy a gift even when it says not to. I spend what I feel comfortable.
    I had a baby shower with my first daughter and asked only close friends and family and it was such a lovely day-one that I truly treasure.
    I just think if you dont like them- dont have one and dont attend them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's pretty obvious when someone is going for the blatant gift grab. Fortunately I've never been to one that felt like that.

An invitation asking for cash only or a strict gift registry with expensive items would make me raise an eyebrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any excuse to have a party really. I love parties.

And it is a baby SHOWER. The whole point to give gifts.

I don't see why someone who has had several children can't have a baby shower for each one.

In my circle of friends and family it's normal to have a baby shower for each child, to celebrate the birth but also to give gifts.

add: we also invite many people who we haven't seen in a long time as the birth of a baby is a special occasion. Just because we might not see some people on a regular basis doesn't mean they aren't part of our lives and that we don't want to share with them. Sometimes these type of parties are the only times I can catch up with certain people. Everyone is busy during their day to day life, so it is a time to stop and everyone to just catch up. This is how we treat weddings, christening and any other special once off events.
    Last edited by Busy Bee; 26-09-2013 at 12:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I generally try not to attend baby showers. I suppose you could celebrate it in a nice way with close family and friends but as soon as I see gift registry or "we have everything we need however gifts of money are appreciated" I just think its embarrassing.

Im so over people events and their gift registries/requests for money.