+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    best baby shower i went to was the one where the mum went into labour- her waters broke and she had her dd 9 hours later...6 weeks early

certainly was a memorable day

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (25-09-2013),cassieh  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel every child should be celebrated! First second fifth boy or girl all are miracles. I had a baby shower for my second, kindly hosted by a friend I hope no one felt it was a gift grabbing event I was happy to just celebrate and having had a girl and #2 being a boy I was totally stoked to have gotten boy clothes and blue blankets!
    I did have some rude responses from some people whom I had invited who basically said one shouldn't have a baby shower for #2 but I told them its a celebration and I didn't need gifts and just wanted to celebrate... Can't win sometimes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love baby showers! However, I only felt comfortable having one for my first, not my second.

I have been to a baby shower which was held for a friends second pregnancy and TBH it did feel like a bit of a 'gift grab', especially with the email attached stating exact items and specific brands only (eg. Johnsons baby wash, no other brands). I did buy a specific item on the list of the preferred brand, but ended up spending a little more than a would have if I had chosen something myself.

Baby shower traditions are changing anyway. I know a couple who will be having both women and men invited, which I don't mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess for ME, it's more so HOW they do the baby shower that I think determines whether its a gift grab or not... For example if I was invited to an intimate morning tea or lunch with an invitation that said no gifts... I think that would be a legitimate celebration of the baby... And most people would buy a small gift anyway.

However if I was given a gift registry & a list of do's and don'ts and the person invited every single person they have met (and really have nothing to do with - they just want the presents).. I think that's incredibly rude. For me personally, if you aren't someone I would privately message when my baby is born, I wouldn't expect you to come and shower me with gifts.

I guess my opinion also is reflected by the fact that we didn't *need* anything... We are very fortunate and were able to buy anything we wanted... However if we were struggling, I guess I would feel differently about it and be grateful for my friends and family helping us out. So I guess ultimately for me, it's how the person goes about it & whether they are just taking advantage of people or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    But if it's not a gift grab, why is it only okay for the first? If you believe in having baby showers, isn't every baby worth celebrating?
    Yes, every baby is worth celebrating, but there are other ways to celebrate without calling it a baby shower.. as soon as people say baby shower it's known more than likely gifts are expected. Nobody would turn up without one i'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Yes, every baby is worth celebrating, but there are other ways to celebrate without calling it a baby shower.. as soon as people say baby shower it's known more than likely gifts are expected. Nobody would turn up without one i'm sure.
    I'm just confused that it's okay to have a baby shower for your first but not for consecutive bubs, you know, because that would be a gift grab... how is it not a gift grab for the first but it is for the 2nd? Iykwim

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I hate showers, I always buy friends and families gifts after bubs is born. The concept of showering the mother with words of wisdom and essentials for the baby has turned into a materialistic gift grab just as some weddings, Christmas and Halloween. I don't like it, but each to their own, invite me but I probably won't attend your shower. But I would arrive after birth the some food and a gift. Like other mentions if its a celebration people should state no gifts, I think babies are celebrated enough after birth, doing it before as well its overkill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a baby shower for the first baby is all about the excitement of being a first time mum/dad and the gifts are a way to help the new parents with things they may need for the baby. For subsequent babies, you could assume (though I know there are exceptions) that the parents already have baby things from the first child eg cot, clothes etc and the experience of having a baby/birth of baby etc so don't need a second baby shower.

Personally, I like baby showers and think they are fun! If I bought a gift for the baby at the baby shower I wouldn't buy another one when I went to see the baby so either way I would still get a gift. I don't mind a gift registry, I think they are actually a great idea because I am a practical person. I would think it is being greedy though if the registry only had really expensive stuff listed on there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I'm just confused that it's okay to have a baby shower for your first but not for consecutive bubs, you know, because that would be a gift grab... how is it not a gift grab for the first but it is for the 2nd? Iykwim
    ok well what I meant was yes, celebrate every baby and have a first baby shower, but after that just have a bbq/drinks thing and it's still celebrating.. you don't need gifts to celebrate. when the baby is born everyone brings gifts anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love baby showers, cant wait for my own! Lovely chance to celebrate the new chapter with friends & family. But will be noting on the invites that gifts aren't necessary and if anyone did want to contribute, to give to charity. I know some people will still give gifts as they are excited about the baby.

But yes, I've definitely been to ones where you know it was a gift grab, awkward.