+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default **vent** dp and smoking

I am petrified of SIDS. I wasnt so much with ds but with bringing dd home I am so scared. It's all fueled by dp and smoking. His smoking has become more apparent to me since dd has been home and I cringe everytime he goes near her. I don't understand how he can know the risk but still smoke........

Vent over

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex DH was the same and it caused many many arguments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does he change his top and brush his teeth before he holds her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, same problem here with DH...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean. Our compromise is he has a shower as soon as he gets home from work. Depending on what he is doing he either has a beer and smoke when he gets home or sometimes not a smoke until just before bed- another shower then.

It is an addiction. It drives me CRAZY but I tell myself this (it's an adddiction) and hope one day he will overcome it. Doesn't help much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! He doesn't wash his hands etc after just walks in......drives me nuts. I only got out of hosp 2 days ago from having a csection so I am in no mood/time to have an argument about it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel the same way OP. I'm not holding my tongue like I used to, I'm speaking up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh smokes.
    After smoking he would wash his hands and wouldn't bath or hold them right after. IF he had to hold them, he would change his top.
    I don't think a chewy is good enough (dh used to say this) as the 'smoke' is still exhaling from the lungs regardless if they had a chewy or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to put your foot down for the sake of your child. If it was me, I would be telling him straight out that if he didn't start making a reasonable effort to quit, then I wouldn't be allowing him to be around my child. But, we are a smoke-free household and I know I would never have this issue with my DF.

We do however have this rule for everyone who sees DS... NO ONE is allowed near him after having a smoke. If a smoker wanted to visit us they would be told to be showered and in clean clothes when they arrived and not to smoke until they leave. No exceptions. And even that would make me uncomfortable because it has been proven that the chemicals stay in your skin and hair for ages, even after washing. I can't imagine having my baby around a smoker all the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he want to quit?
    How about patches?
    Otherwise instead of not going near the baby at all, (which is an unrealistic approach) just insist on the showers, change of clothes after a cigaret. I assume your Dh works, so he might have a ciggy after work, shower, dinner, you put baby to bed then he can have another ciggy?
    I don't smoke, but I've seen my dh try to quit, it looked hard!