+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tamtam sorry no experience with introducing dairy as my DD is severely allergic to cmp. But some good products that are dairy free are goats cheese, Meredith sheeps milk yoghurt nuttelex instead of butter (great for cooking!) and arnotts have some dairy free biscuits (when you get to that stage!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessbaby View Post
    Hi Tamtam sorry no experience with introducing dairy as my DD is severely allergic to cmp. But some good products that are dairy free are goats cheese, Meredith sheeps milk yoghurt nuttelex instead of butter (great for cooking!) and arnotts have some dairy free biscuits (when you get to that stage!)
    Thank you. I've been trying a few things. Can I give sheeps milk yogurts?? I've never seen it.
    I'll have to keep an eye out of the biscuits. She's had a few bikkies that have milk in them and tolerated it okay.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Look at the nutrition panel on the products you want to try. If its true cmpi (as in protein) then butter is the safest place to start, as butter had no protein in it. You can get really tricky and clarify your own butter to remove all the impurities. If it's lactose then start with some cheeses that have 'carbohydrate <1'on them (as the lactose is a carb). It can also be a whole milk allergy (dd1 has this) in which case you're stuffed -as we are lol. About the only dairy she can tolerate is butter baked into something, when it's baked, the protein is broken down and more easily tolerated. All that is to the best of my knowledge, as told to me by dieticians and allergists, but I'm not an expert, just a mum. Hth

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (25-09-2013),Tamtam  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Look at the nutrition panel on the products you want to try. If its true cmpi (as in protein) then butter is the safest place to start, as butter had no protein in it. You can get really tricky and clarify your own butter to remove all the impurities. If it's lactose then start with some cheeses that have 'carbohydrate <1'on them (as the lactose is a carb). It can also be a whole milk allergy (dd1 has this) in which case you're stuffed -as we are lol. About the only dairy she can tolerate is butter baked into something, when it's baked, the protein is broken down and more easily tolerated. All that is to the best of my knowledge, as told to me by dieticians and allergists, but I'm not an expert, just a mum. Hth
    Wow. Great info. Thank you. I had no idea about butter. I'm desperate to try things for extra fat as she has a cardiac condition so is quite small. Butter etc would help to add fats to her diet. Thank you. Really helpful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thanks everyone. I guess if I offer the cheese and symptoms return I'll know. I hadn't thought of almond or oat milk either.
    I think she's teething so I might get confusing symptoms!!

Almond milk is supposed to be the best, as long as there is no nut allergy. You can also buy caltrate and dissolve it into milk of your choice, it takes a while to soften up, maybe an hour or more. ... or you may be able to buy powdered calcium from a chemist.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Tamtam - with DS1, at the dietitians suggestion, we tried introducing small amounts at 12 months but he didn't tolerate it well. Started again at around 15-16 months and then he was fine and has been ever since.

I think when you know it's not an actual allergy, specifically with anaphylactic risks, it won't harm them to try small amounts at a time. DS2 I believe is a lot more severe than DS1 was though, so I'll be a bit too scared to introduce it to him so quickly!

Also FYI if you need a high fat diet, try adding avocado to her diet where possible. Very healthy and good for plumping them up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh That must be challenging! Poor little thing and poor you, it must be stressful. You should probably look for a referral to a dietician then. Or are you seeing one already?

You can add fats in other ways too, eg mix olive oil into pasta, offer avocado etc. If you look up Paleo websites, clean eating recipes or Sally Fallons book Nourishing Traditions, you should find heaps of recipes to help. They are all big into the growing 'anti-lowfat' movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks pesca. Wondered if you'd pop in here!!
    Since I think she's quite mild I thought it was worth a try. Luckily she doesn't mind avocado so I try to give it once a day. She eats such small amounts (we have feeding issues) that any way I can add calories is welcome.
    But it would be great to add butter and some cheeses and yogurt etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still use Nuttelex - great for cooking (think Gothel said that too?).

Avocado even goes fine in a smoothie FYI!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I still use Nuttelex - great for cooking (think Gothel said that too?).

Avocado even goes fine in a smoothie FYI!
    Avocado in a smoothie??? Interesting.