+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Needing advice, I'm not sure where to go from here?

I'm currently half way through studying cert 3 in Aged Care, I'm loving the theory, but I've recently started the low and high care placement and I really don't like it I want to drop out because if I complete it then I'm not eligible for government funding for another cert 3 (if) I choose to do so.

I'm only doing the Aged Care certificate to help me get into nursing next year but I'm starting to think, if I'm not enjoying this work then what if I won't enjoy nursing? I'm so upset with myself that I'm feeling this way about it. I haven't finished anything since finishing High School & I really wanted to be proud of myself by completing something. I was really enjoying the course till now & I still want to do nursing but I'm worried there's no chance that I'll get in if I don't have the relevant study/work experience to help me get in?

Should I still try and apply for nursing even though I'm not enjoying the PCA work, or should I forget about it and go back to doing admin full time? (which I was doing since high school until I had DS).

I know I should just finish the course, but I really can't bring myself to doing it if I'm really not enjoying it. What do you think I should do/my best option is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would finish it. Otherwise the work you've done is wasted. I'd just suck it up and get through it. I worked in aged care as an AIN, PCA and DT at 5 different facilities and can honestly say the place you are working in can make all the difference. It might grow on you, it might not, either way it's valuable experience.
    Eta- if the course is govt funded then please finish it. Many people cannot access govt funded courses (like me!) and it is such a shame to waste free or subsidised education. Also, this might sound harsh, but it comes off as kind of spoilt/entitled to say you can't finish it because you're not enjoying it. Aged care is not for everyone, it's true, but it is a valuable position. PCAs and AINs meet the personal care needs of the elderly and infirm who cannot do it themselves. You're doing it as part of a course, not forever. There's no law saying you have to enjoy it, but I hope you finish it and treat each resident with kindness and respect despite your lack of enjoyment (sorry if that sounds harsh)- it might help you to Change how you are looking at it- instead of "I'm not enjoying it, I want to quit" try "it's only for x amount of time, I will try to be kind to every single person under my care and brighten their day each day I am here".
    Last edited by Atropos; 25-09-2013 at 08:32.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (25-09-2013),flowerfae  (25-09-2013),Pusheen The Cat  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the Advice Atroops, I know I should look at the end result and just get through it. I'm just so disappointed in myself for feeling this way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    Thanks for the Advice Atroops, I know I should look at the end result and just get through it. I'm just so disappointed in myself for feeling this way.
    I added to my post. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, it's a sore point for me because I loved aged care work but I can't afford to go back to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would finish it. Nursing is so broad I'm sure there are many areas very different to aged care that you will probably really enjoy. And finishing it will help your chances getting into nursing. I almost dropped out of physiotherapy as I hated a prac I was on but I persisted and love it now and work in a totally different area to where the prac was. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I added to my post. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, it's a sore point for me because I loved aged care work but I can't afford to go back to it
    No your not being harsh at all, I guess its just not for everyone. Thats the thing I'm loving the theory, I love spending time with residents and the co workers are lovely, I guess its just some the the physical work that I'm not really enjoying so much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    No your not being harsh at all, I guess its just not for everyone. Thats the thing I'm loving the theory, I love spending time with residents and the co workers are lovely, I guess its just some the the physical work that I'm not really enjoying so much?
    That's fair enough. I'd still say just try to focus on the positives to get through it. How much longer do you have to go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same thoughts when I did my cert 3. It's still not my favorite thing, but it does grow on you.
    If you are doing it to get into the diploma, then stick with it! You don't have to work in aged care, and nursing isn't all PCA work. Look into some different areas of nursing that might interest you and work towards that

My eventual goal is to be a neonatal nurse, and while it seems forever away it helps to know the steps I need to take to get to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nursing in a hospital is nothing like aged care. I sometimes go 2 weeks without changing a bottom. The majority of nursing is observations, iv antibiotics, diabetic management, some wound care, documentation.
    There are heaps of areas in nursing that are even very different than above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    That's fair enough. I'd still say just try to focus on the positives to get through it. How much longer do you have to go?
    I finish at the start of Dec. So I'm about half way. We're doing 180 hours of placement, it seems a bit daunting but I'm going to preserver

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-09-2013)