+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pressure to stop bfing 11 month old

As the title says I have started receiving pressure from family, friends and co-workers about when I will be stopping bfing.

Because they either didnt bf or didn't for long, or a couple did until 1 then that was it, they all expect me to stop at 1 too.

Initially I never had a plan on how long I would bf for, just as long as I could which I honestly didn't think would be this long.

However then when I did get so far I decided I didn't want to stop until atleast 1 when he can have cows milk instead.

Now I really don't have any idea when I want to stop and ds is more than happy continuing at this point.

I do plan to try wean him to cows milk for his mid morning feed so I can stop expressing at work but other than that I don't have any plans yet.

Not really sure what the point of this thread is. Kind of a vent, kind of hoping others are in the same boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't let them pressure you, stop when both of your are ready, tell them to Ming their own business

DH 37 + me 33 = DS1 3.5 & DS2 10 wks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dyso80 For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why should you have to stop at 1? Does your breast milk expire? Does broccoli ever lose its nutritional value?
    Tell them to mind their own business. You stop when you want to stop. There's no magical age you need to stop breastfeeding.. If somebody brings it up, tell them you plan to stop when he gets to high school. It should shut them up.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-09-2013),FrothyFrog  (01-10-2013),kbf2plus2  (25-09-2013),Renn  (01-10-2013),~Marigold~  (26-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ignore them, you are doing what is best for YOUR child! I experienced the same sort of pressure (but more from like 6 months old!) and I regularly said 'WHO recommended BFing till at least 2 years and I am following their recommendation' it's really no one else's business what you do with your boobs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its so annoying when everyone starts to comment/question and make suggestions about how you feed your baby - i always felt like i was on the defensive and having to justfy my decisions...

I say do what is working for you and your DS. My DS is now 2 and still BFing (although I am trying to get him to cut back as, for me, it's getting draining).

Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how it affects anyone else, or is anyone's business how long you breastfeed your child. I fed DD2 until 18 months and nobody said anything to me, but then again I never mentioned it, especially at work. Just do what you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was lucky that I never experienced this pressure to stop bf'ing, but it seems to be so common. I bf DS1 for 18 months and TBH people stopped asking well before he was 1 if I was bf'ing.

I just wouldn't even enter into a conversation about it. I really don't know why other people even have an opinion - whether or not you are bf'ing has no impact on anyone else. If you don't want to go into detail about it just be vague and cut any conversation short. Or like a pp suggested come up with a good one-liner and that will stop the unwarranted opinions pretty quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt a lot of the se pressure to wean DS1 and as a first time mum found it hard and made me second guess myself. In the end tried to not discuss it. If someone pressed the point I would quote the WHO recommendation of BFing until 2 and ask would they take their child's greatest comfort from them just because it wasn't the 'norm'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD2 is 12 months and anyone that's asked has been told that the WHO recommends bf until at least 2 years old. It's not up to anyone else when you decide to wean or if it will be mother or child led. Anyone who tells you it's abnormal- tell them the average weaning age is closer to 5 than one worldwide, and that really, our culture about breastfeeding is the abnormal one

In all seriousness, don't let other people influence your decision. Your baby is still a baby, your milk is still the healthiest thing for him to drink. Human milk never loses its nutritional value for humans. It's not like it knows the child has turned one (or two or three or whatever arbitrary age some person ascribes to it)and all the nutrition just falls out!

Good on you for bf for 11 months so far :smiledance:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (01-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your support. I know it isn't up to anyone but ds and I when we stop, it's just frustrating that they think they can comment and assume we will stop at 1.

I guess if I can stop expressing at work alot of the comments will stop as they seem to be the biggest ones with an issue. TBH I think it is probably because she thinks I should be working instead of expressing not realising I don't get paid for that time.

Thanks again for the support, I will practice the WHO recommendation line so I can start using that.

If you had asked me a year ago, or even 6 months ago, I wouldn't have even thought this would be an issue as I never thought for a minute we would make it this far.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-09-2013)