+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with transition to cot

Hi everyone I have a 16 month old son who has co slept since day 1 but I am wanting to move him to his cot which he absolutely hates I contemplated moving him to a single bed but fear he is just so little and could get tangled in his blanket. I have tried to get him used to his cot starting with day naps nothing works he just cries and gets very upset. So many people have told me to just put him in there and close the door and key him cry but I just couldn't do that to a child I want him to see his cot as a safe happy place not something horrible and scary! Please help bub 3 is due in feb and I was hoping to move ds2 before bub comes so he doesn't feel like he is being shipped out of my bed because if baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you set the cot up as a side car? That way he is still kind of co-sleeping and close to you, then you can progress to putting the side back on and moving the cot (if you're wanting him in his own room).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like decemberbubba's suggestion... we sidecarred the cot with the mattress the same level, now the mattress is lower than ours but the cot is still attached to our bed and bub (12 months) starts the night in there but still wakes up next to me.

Next step for us is to get him to wake up in the cot... have *no* idea when that will happen, but after that I think we'll move the cot from the bed and turn it into a toddler bed.

I have thought of the cold-turkey approach but, like you, I can't stand the thought of doing that to him. Bed should be a happy safe place - calm & relaxing. Don't want bub crying himself to sleep! So, if we can't do the cold-turkey, go slow slow, step by step, bit by bit... and let me know how you manage to do it because I'm looking for ideas too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my son has been co sleeping since birth as well and had never slept in a cot. We took the one side of cot and pushed it up against our bed since birth anyway, it just played the role of a bed rail up untill recently. I weaned my son from breastmilk at 21m and miraculously all he wants is sleeping in his cot. Cot is still attached to our bed, but he would not sleep in the big bed whatsoever, sometimes i move him to my side so that I can cuddle him while sleeping, but once he finds out, he moves back to cot himself. He got his favorite pillow and teddy on his bed and he loves them.May be you can try take the one side of the cot at first?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately we do not have the room to put his cot In our room we barely fit the basinet not that he used it lol, my reasons for wanting him in his cot in his own room is because Wr are expecting bub 3 in early Feb and I want ds2 settled before this happens I don't want him to feel like the baby has taken over and he has been kicked out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't fit the cot in your room, could you 'camp out' in his room with him for the first few nights? So setup a mattress next to his cot so you are there to comfort him while he goes to sleep/ when he wakes in the night. Having you close might help him settle into his new environment a little better. Or if it's the actual cot that's the issue, but you feel he's too small for a single bed, you could put him on a single mattress on his floor until he's big enough to climb into/ out of a bed. Coming into warmer weather you probably won't even need a blanket if he's in a sleeping bag.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 27-09-2013 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    If you can't fit the cot in your room, could you 'camp out' in his room with him for the first few nights? So setup a mattress next to his cot so you are there to comfort him while he goes to sleep/ when he wakes in the night. Having you close might help him settle into his new environment a little better. Or if it's the actual cot that's the issue, but you feel he's too small for a single bed, you could put him on a single mattress on his floor until he's big enough to climb into/ out of a bed. Coming into warmer weather you probably won't even need a blanket if he's in a sleeping bag.
    Yeah I think it's the actually cot because he is so used to a bed when he rolls around he hits the bars and wakes up, he has slept in his brothers single bed and was fine all night It has a safety rail but he just looks so small. We are in the middle if renovating so at the moment he shares a room with his brothers and if he wakes in the night it wakes them up. I think I will just out a mattress in my floor and get his used to that then once his room his finished move him to a single bed