+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't consider that I had an option, I just breastfed because that was what you did. Making up formula and all the effort that goes into that wouldn't have interested me anyway. I had my first before the internet and I wasn't influenced or even exposed to babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess a little. My best friend bf'd both her children successfully and was quite the advocate for it (without being preachy or judging FF'ers). She didn't try to influence me, but she was supportive.

The thing that really motivated me to BF was the fact that I had a premmie who was too little to feed, but I had a great milk supply. So I just kept expressing until he was ready. I had a lot of support from midwives and nurses whilst DS was in special care, which made things easier to get started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not really. My mother FF, my MIL both BF and FF.

The thought of BF felt so uncomfortable to me, I was planning on expressing and bottle feed. But as soon as I did my first BF, it just clicked, it all just worked so perfectly for me/us. That was when I made my decision to BF. I had support should BF had failed but also had people supporting my BF journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No my family are mainly FF and I was FF too.

I pretty much decided from the beginning I was going to BF - not that I'm particularly maternal but that I wanted to for the weightloss benefits. I went on to lose 30kg breastfeeding DS! Also the fact that I too am a cheapskate and a lazy one at that. It was free and I didn't have to clean or prepare anything.

My mother though on many occasions asked when I was switching to formula and suggested DS was maybe too old to be BF (I BF him until 14 months). She was told quickly every time that I would stop when we were both ready and not a moment before

I'm now BFing my DD and hope to for at least the next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I guess they did although there was never any discussion or decision made...

I've just always been surrounded by breast feeders so I guess I just hadn't thought of doing anything but bf....

My attitude towards it though was very much I intend to bf but if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen.

Once DS was born though it became something I was completely determined about which surprised me.
    This is the same for me - I was surprised by how determined I became to breastfeed as I had never given it much thought. My mother, Aunties, cousins have all breastfed from what I can recall (but I honestly never took much notice!)

I was also surprised by how much support and encouragement I received from DH. I didn't think it was any big deal for him but he later revealed that he was really glad that I persisted with it despite various issues during the first couple of months. My Mum was also a great source of encouragement - she just kept repeating 'I promise you that this will get easier' time and time again and that alone really helped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a massive advocate for breastfeeding (if you can) BUT I had to bottle feed as I was sick during my pregnancy and as a result it dried up my milk so I had a screaming baby.

The hospital I used was a huge on breastfeeding and I though formula was not an option as they wouldn't give it. Bubs would scream and scream and it wasn't until the forth day when one of the nurses finally said 'how about we give her some formula', that I was shocked that you could even do it. Being a first time mother, I was pretty naive to what you can and can't do when feeding a baby.

I think for some woman bottle would be better but the negative attitudes around it stops them. I had a hard time going to bottle as everyone said breast is best and whilst I still believe it, the guilt for me that went with it was hard. I couldn't breastfeed but it didn't stop people around me making me feel like I still should have (if nothing comes out it's a bit of an issues, lol). If I have a second, I will try breast again.

Short answer to the question; I think subconsciously people around you can/do influence your choices or at least make you think/question them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my sister ff her 3 babies and I always hear from her plus others how hard breastfeeding can be so with my first born I was completely turned off even trying breastfeeding so I didn't and I regretted it he was formula fed from the start without even trying bf. I'm now pregnant with my second and want to try breastfeeding I must admit tho I'm still not completely comfortable with the idea especially thinking about when other people are around how I will go but I'm willing to give it a go and maybe just not do it around others if it makes me feel weird or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think whatever works for each person they should do and not feel pressured. I hate the fact that just because I want to ff that I feel like I'm still being pushed and expected to bf. my nipples are flat and ob gave me a pump to help them come out but he didnt even ask if I was going to bf it's like it's expected and I don't think that's right either. It's your body and your baby. Myself and sis and brother were bottle fed and nothing wrong with us I just think that there is too much pressure on people to do it . I'm just going to have to tell ob that I'm not doing it and that's it no pressuring me or I won't recommend him to anyone. For me personally I don't feel comfortable with it just like some that want to breast feed arnt comfortable with bottle feeding . Every one is entitled to do what they feel is right for them and shouldn't feel pressure from anyone .

Thanks
    Reviews
    No really, like a lot of the people on here most of those around me FF but I just felt that BF was the natural thing to do and if I could do it I would. I was very lucky that DS1 was a natural. DS2 wasn't but by then I was so set on BFing that he was going to BF not matter what he thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy86 View Post
    Yes my sister ff her 3 babies and I always hear from her plus others how hard breastfeeding can be so with my first born I was completely turned off even trying breastfeeding so I didn't and I regretted it he was formula fed from the start without even trying bf. I'm now pregnant with my second and want to try breastfeeding I must admit tho I'm still not completely comfortable with the idea especially thinking about when other people are around how I will go but I'm willing to give it a go and maybe just not do it around others if it makes me feel weird or anything.
    I think it's a shame when people turn other people off bf... I was told all the horror stories too... But I have had no issues... No sore nipples, no cracked nipples, nothing. Fingers crossed you are the same.