+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Breastfeeding is normal in my family (my grandmas, aunts and mum all did it), so I didn't ever really "decide" to do it, I guess I just never really thought I wouldn't.

My midwife definitely encouraged me too, and DH wanted me to as well, so he helped out as much as he could (sat with me, got me snacks and water, reminded me how to attach bub correctly when I was tired).

So yes, I think all those things did encourage me to breastfeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really. I gave bf a red hot go, when it wasn't working for us I switch to ff. My friends are 50/50 bf and ff, and neither group minds what the other group does.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it would to some degree.

If you're surrounded by people who've done either one or the other, many would probably go with what they know... but even if not, it can be harder to get help and support from those close to you if they've only ever done it the other way, or aren't supportive of a particular way to feed.

MIL bottlefed all of her kids from birth. SIL followed her lead, and from what I've heard, it was mostly due to MIL talking about how rubbish breastfeeding is and how much better formula-feeding is... and so SIL just did that.

I had nobody with much of an opinion about either method... but when times got tough with breastfeeding and I either got crappy, insensitive advice or advice to just give her a bottle... it was a lot easier to make my decision to give up on breastfeeding prematurely. If I was surrounded by breastfeeders, or people very supportive of breastfeeding, I don't think I would have caved as easily as I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breast feeding isn't normal in my family at all -- so I am eternally grateful that I was one if the last of my friends to have a baby, so they all normalized breast feeding for me. If it wasn't for their influence/support, & all I had was my mothers constant "you were formula fed & you turned out fine, why do this to yourself" type comments, I wouldn't have lasted BF'ing the first week, much less the 17 months that I ended up feeding for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I'm surrounded by "extended" BFrs, my choice was entirely my own, although I found myself justifying it more than I should, most likely because of their views.

I would guess your friend is more comfortable with being open about her choice, because those around her are less likely to judge her for it. Which is a great thing, no person should ever feel like their feeding choice isn't a valid one (assuming it's a nutritional feeding choice, not slurpees for a newborn, haha).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, not really no one around me had babies the only influence was my DH wanting me to give BFing a go, so I did (un enthusiastically) for 5 days then switched to formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was a breastfeeding counsellor when she was younger so I assume her support and advice helped a lot. I knew that she breastfed me for around 2 years. Despite my mums encouragement, I found most other people were pretty much determined to encourage me to use formula. I wouldnt even call it "encourage". I'd call it pressure. I actually hide the fact that my daughter was breastfed past 2 years, because some members of my family are horrified by "that sort of thing." So to some extend, I think I breastfed despite what people around me thought. However, if my Mum didnt have my back I wouldn't have breastfed for very long I don't think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes and No, everyone I knew ff but I was a cheapskate and wasn't going to pay for what I could get for free. I read up while I was pregnant and found out all the benefits.

Than my SIL had her baby a few months before me and told me i was stupid for just believing that I could and that I would give up with in the first week like she had. So that sealed the deal for me. There was no way in hell she was going to be right. I was going to bf if it killed me. I even fed through a really bad case of chicken pox.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was glad to read your post @cassieh as previously you have seemed pretty scathing of FFs for whatever reason. Glad that seems to not be the case now.

I always planned on BF as that is why normal. I researched, went to the ABA class, did all I could do beforehand. And then it didn't work and I was crushed, as so many others in my shoes are.

I am totally comfortable with the fact I FF now though. Even though I mainly did it for myself and my own physical as mental health. I started bonding with my baby as soon as I stopped BF and that cemented for me that I had made the right decision.

I think it would be unusual for those around you to have no influence over your views, even if it doesn't change your ultimate decision.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess they did although there was never any discussion or decision made...

I've just always been surrounded by breast feeders so I guess I just hadn't thought of doing anything but bf....

My attitude towards it though was very much I intend to bf but if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen.

Once DS was born though it became something I was completely determined about which surprised me.