+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did the people around you influence your decision in regards to formula v breast feed

My friend is having her first baby & has decided to do formula straight away & not attempt bf - (no judgement - she will be an amazing mummy regardless & I support her choice 100%). Both of her sisters have kids who are both formula fed, makes me wonder whether she would have felt differently if they bf? Did the people around you influence your decision to bf or ff? For me personally it did, both my sister in laws are strong bf advocates so I never saw formula as an option for me, however I think I would have probably felt different about it if they weren't. Just curious what other people's experiences were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not at all. Most people around me seem to ff. I am hoping that I will be able to bf and I plan on trying as hard as possible to do it even with my mil and sil pushing formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess so, breastfeeding is normal in my circles, everyone does it, my mother breastfed me etc etc. I didn't really make a decision that I was going to breastfeed, I just was going to. It came as a massive shock that it didn't work for us. I wasn't prepared for it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Not really. I didn't know anyone with babies to influence me. I had an open mind and was hoping to breast feed but wasn't going to be upset if it didn't work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not overly. It wasn't really a discussion topic.

The only in depth convo was with my Aunty when pregnant with ds1. She stressed to me that breast was best if it works, for both mum and bub. She had to ff so I think she was trying to put me at ease if I did ff.

I've taken that approach with family and friends who are pregnant if we discuss feeding.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm.... Possibly.

My mother kept gently reminding me that formula was not the devil's concoction & that if I needed/wanted to switch, then nobody would know or care in 5 years time. That made it a lot easier to stand up to everyone who was against my decision switch to formula, like it's got anything to do with them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I guess so, breastfeeding is normal in my circles, everyone does it, my mother breastfed me etc etc. I didn't really make a decision that I was going to breastfeed, I just was going to. It came as a massive shock that it didn't work for us. I wasn't prepared for it at all.
    I agree with this completely! I never questioned how id feed as my family & friends all bf so I knew no different. However, due to a traumatic birth, bubs has never been able to latch & formula was our saviour that first 7 days until my milk finally started to come in.

Having such pro bf people in my life encouraged me to get to 8 weeks exclusively expressing but have just introduced 1 formula/day. This has been great but I wish I'd informed myself prior about formula feeding/ sterilizing bottles as I felt lost and scared & my support network didn't have much advice in this area either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't really have any one advocating breastfeeding around me, nor any friends with babies to observe, but I had assumed I'd breastfeed because I mostly thought that's just what happened when you had a baby.

So I'm not sure if I'd say I was influenced any more than any other mammal is influenced to breastfeed.

I think though on the flip side of having had no influence had I had any difficulty breastfeeding I'd have had no support, and no real idea where to get it, so mine could easily have been quite a different breastfeeding story.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i bottlefed both kids when they were 7 days old... DS just didnt get enough from me and had GORD so he vomitted alot and it was the only way to keep an eye on his intake
    DD- i did it for 7 days as i knew how important those first days were but i hated it so i put her on the bottle..

sure i copped alot of flack for not BF but i didnt care... its only one small part of being a parent and to me a happy mum = a happy baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to formula feed I will try the first breast feed of colostrum but that's all I plan on doing. My Ob seems to assume I will be breastfeeding and said my nipples are flat and gave me a pump to use which I don't want to but if it will make that one time less painful I guess I will do it. Thinking I will ave to mention this at my next appointment I'm thinking. Just over people assuming and making me feel guilty that it's not what I want.