+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pre Labour - when people say baby went still/no movement, what does this mean?

Is it just a slow down in movement or stopping movement altogether?

I have an anterior placenta which up until the last few weeks made it hard for me to judge movement at the best of times. She is definitely quieter over the last week but still feel her occasionally.

when people say their babies get quiet before birth what does this actually mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it means that there isnt much room for them to physically move around anymore. Well, thats what my OB told me lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub went extremely quiet 2 days before she was born. I barely felt a movement and was about to take myself off to the GP. This was the Sunday, Tuesday morning my water broke and Tuesday night she arrived. Looking back it was I believe it was definitely a sign of impending labour. I also had severe back pain in the week leading.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify this - I am a midwife and have been for 9 years. A baby not moving or 'going still' is never a good thing or a sign of labour. If your baby is not moving like he/she normally does, please please call your midwife or obstetrician or delivery ward at the hospital you are birthing at.
    Babies do not 'slow down' before labour starts, that is a complete myth. Movements change as baby gets bigger and has less obvious kicks and rolls and more squirming and rolling, but the number of times baby moves should not change. If your baby hasn't moved for a number of hours or more, this is concerning. A baby who is not moving in labour is concerning.
    Unfortunately in my time I have experienced a number of stillbirths from 37-41 weeks gestation and many of their mothers thought that the baby not moving was normal or a sign that labour was going to start. It wasn't. Please always call your midwife/doctor if you're worried about your baby moving, you might detect a problem with the baby's placenta and oxygen flow before it's too late.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aquarius22 For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (02-03-2014),HippyGirl85  (26-02-2014),KaraB  (22-02-2014),ManchesterLass  (25-02-2014),MummaOJ  (26-02-2014),Purple Lily  (22-02-2014),Roopee  (22-02-2014),shani2  (22-02-2014),silverbreeze  (26-02-2014),veggiemama  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius22 View Post
    Just to clarify this - I am a midwife and have been for 9 years. A baby not moving or 'going still' is never a good thing or a sign of labour. If your baby is not moving like he/she normally does, please please call your midwife or obstetrician or delivery ward at the hospital you are birthing at.
    Babies do not 'slow down' before labour starts, that is a complete myth. Movements change as baby gets bigger and has less obvious kicks and rolls and more squirming and rolling, but the number of times baby moves should not change. If your baby hasn't moved for a number of hours or more, this is concerning. A baby who is not moving in labour is concerning.
    Unfortunately in my time I have experienced a number of stillbirths from 37-41 weeks gestation and many of their mothers thought that the baby not moving was normal or a sign that labour was going to start. It wasn't. Please always call your midwife/doctor if you're worried about your baby moving, you might detect a problem with the baby's placenta and oxygen flow before it's too late.
    I was going to say something similar - we were told very clearly at our pre natal classes that it is a myth that babies slow down/stop moving just before birth and to always call if you are worried. I'm sure everything is absolutely fine but it never hurts to check.

DS2 gave me a scare at 36w, it wasn't a hassle at all for the midwives to see me and check that everything was fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius22 View Post
    just to clarify this - i am a midwife and have been for 9 years. A baby not moving or 'going still' is never a good thing or a sign of labour. If your baby is not moving like he/she normally does, please please call your midwife or obstetrician or delivery ward at the hospital you are birthing at.
    Unfortunately in my time i have experienced a number of stillbirths from 37-41 weeks gestation and many of their mothers thought that the baby not moving was normal or a sign that labour was going to start. It wasn't. Please always call your midwife/doctor if you're worried about your baby moving, you might detect a problem with the baby's placenta and oxygen flow before it's too late.
    this. This this this this!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No moving for a few hrs isnt something to worry about!! We would all b heafing to the hospital everyday if that were the case!Babies sleep for hours at a time in utero? ?

I was told 10 or more movements per day is normal

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was over due, she used to do somersaults all evening, the last 2 weeks I didn't feel her move much, a kick every couple of days that's it. I too was concerned but I heard it was normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told similar in our pre natal classes, its okay if you don't feel movement for an hour cause the baby will sleep but any longer we were told to call the hospital.
    My midwife said to drink a glass of ice cold water if you didn't get movement after that then get straight on the phone to the hospital.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZachysMum For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (26-02-2014),SoThisIsLove  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our friend had 2 weeks until she was due to give birth and was at a birthday party with us, she looked great and everyone was telling her so and rubbing her belly, she was saying how happy she was to be having her first baby and she felt good. Just over a week later she gave birth to a little girl still born. Turns out she hadn't felt movement for a few days prior to the party but didn't think anything of it, bub had been deceased before the party. Was so sad!

Since then I have been very conscious on bubs movements when pregnant and wouldn't hesitate to go to the hospital if I was at all worried.