+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default afraid of toilet

my son is afraid of the toilet and potty I cant get him to sit without a big fuss wat do I do

Thanks
    Reviews
    he is one and I no it probs a bit early but he is almost out of junior nappies

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Am I right in assuming he's a big boy and you're worried because he's in teh biggest sized nappies? My DS was teh same. He was in walker nappies before he could crawl. The largest Aldi ones (up to 25kg) were the only disposable ones that fitted other than the very expensive pull ups for children that still wet the bed.

Once they get more mobile then the weight gain will slow down. He will most likely start to grow up more and not 'out' so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely don't push it, that could just make things worse especially in the long-term. Just drop it for now as others have said

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes his is big but he is also tall and he is very active boy already if it wasn't for the fact that he always has a sleep around 1 I wouldn't bother taking a pram. im just worried that he wont grow out of it as my nephew was 4 before he even agreed to be in the same room as his potty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aj1234 View Post
    im just worried that he wont grow out of it as my nephew was 4 before he even agreed to be in the same room as his potty.
    Even if that was the case, although it's not ideal and probably unlikely, then so be it. My first daughter had chronic constipation issues and we could not push toilet training at all because we couldn't have her associate the toilet with pain and fear. One day she suddenly decided that she wanted to do it, she was 3.5, once she started though she never looked back and now at 6 it doesn't matter what age she toilet trained.
    My DD2 is now 2.5, she has no issues like her sister did but over the last few months she decided she wouldn't have a bar of the toilet or potty, once in this time she did sit on the potty and actually did a poo for the first time ever which actually seemed to freak her out and made things worse. Just the last few days she will let me put knickers on her and will sit on the toilet. I'm just going to take it gently and follow her lead, she will get there eventually as will your DS .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did early toilet learning with DD from 10 months and it's really important that it is all a positive experience. I would not have persisted if it upset her. At that age the potty worked well and it took a while for her to have the confidence to use a toilet.

For now, I would have the potty in the toilet room and see if he will sit on it with nappy on when you go to the toilet. That way he is making the link between toileting and the potty, but it might be less scary for him.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is not ready. Have a break.
    My dd was coming to the toilet with me from the moment she could crawl and follow me. She was very familiar with it, played around with the flush button and generally very interested in the whole toilet caper from a very young age. We tt her at 2.5yrs and she got it in 3 days no accidents. Night trained within about 4 weeks. I did buy stickers for rewards but we didn't need them. Our praise and excitement was enough!
    Last edited by Lakey; 25-09-2013 at 09:46.