+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 week scan, good heartbeat, but only measuring 6 weeks?

Hi,
    we were incredibly lucky to get pregnant on out third ICSI cycle. Have been holding our breath until our 8 week scan which was today and there was a good heartbeat (128 Bpm) and they said looked good and was moving but is only measuring 6w 2 days? Obviously with ivf it's impossible to get dates wrong so they have said they don't know what it means!!! I asked if it was possible that it had stopped growing but they said not with a good heartbeat. They will scan again in two weeks, although how I will survive this wait! The nurse (the only one I have always found a bit doom and gloom) said 'you're still pregnant but call us if anything happens' which I may reading too much into but feel she's expecting something to go wrong! Has this happened to anyone else? The doc did say it may be she just can't quite see it all to measure, am I clutching at straws? A heartbeat has to be good??
    Please let me know if anyone has been in same boat.
    thanks so much for reading xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not IVF but my baby was measuring 2 weeks behind at the start. Even the 12 week scan they said i wasnt 12 weeks yet.They questioned my dates constantly but I knew when I conceived. 3 years of trying I tracked EVERYTHING! By the end of the pregnancy I was measuring 4 weeks ahead and gave birth to a massive 10pound baby!
    Congratulations! A strong heartbeat is a great sign!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heymegz For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Malkitek,

I had a scan at 5 weeks+ and the sac was measuring 5 days behind. They told me things could go either way and to come back in a week. A week later they saw a heartbeat but the baby was still measuring behind. They said they didn't want to see me again until 12 weeks 'unless something happened'. I was still worried and had another scan at 9 weeks after a bout of gastro, and baby was measuring on track.

Sometimes they can't measure properly due to the baby's positiin and I've also heard measuring behind is common with IVF. A good heartbeat is reassuring and your baby is very much alive. I felt like my nurse was a bit negatve too but probably read too much in to it.

Good luck. Praying for a good outcome for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Octoberbaby2010 For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The heartbeat sounds like that of a 6 week bub not a 8 week bub, so I would be curious as to see what happens. Good luck :-)

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, makes me feel not so alone (hubby offshore)
    have calmed down after sobbing like an idiot, and trying to stay positive that the wee thing is alive the doc did say it was stuck in the corner so maybe just couldn't see it properly but who knows, just have to get through next two weeks and see. I'll let you know!
    Thanks again xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my babies are ivf and both measured days smaller at 7 week scan. Not 2 weeks smaller though, but 1 week yes.

I was sure my 2nd was not going to turn out well after 2 miscarriages by the 7 week scan in the prior few months but she hung on however she was small at birth, nearly 2 weeks early & had a single umbilical artery. Sometimes the small measurement can be for a reason rather than the fact the pregnancy isn't viable

Good luck! I know all too well the stress of waiting between 2 scans to see what happens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgoMama For This Useful Post:

Malkitek  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I've managed to talk them into doing the scan at ten days so that's Friday. Figure as they grow so fast at this time, we'll know something.
    Somehow the days are passing and I'm not sobbing all day anymore! Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know what happens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well what we probably all thought has happened, had scan today and no longer a heartbeat. Having d and c on Tuesday. Just so sad.
    Gill

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, so, sorry Gill. Rest up and be kind to yourself. I hope you recover well and can move on when you are ready. This journey can be so cruel. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews