+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cows milk protein intolerance

Just a question to those whose child has been diagnosed with a cows milk protein intolerance/allergy.

Due to severe constipation and wind/pain issues doctor is thinking maybe cmpi and we are on karicare allerpro.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how long until you started seeing results? How long until he cows milk protein left the system? Of this formula doesn't work I am to try neocate but I am hoping that doesn't come to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had CMPI and the same symptoms as you describe.
    Neocate was the only formula that worked. It was only a matter of days before we saw a massive difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is diagnosed with cmpi. With exact same problem. Chronic constipation and terrible wind pain and really smelly gas!!!
    We did pepti junior and neocate. Both were a disaster as she didn't tolerate pepti well and I tried to get her drink neocate. She has a cardiac condition so getting the calories in was super important. So I decided to try allerpro.... Haven't looked back.
    It's really for mild intolerance as it's not as broken down as the others. She's been on it for about 5 months. It probably took about 2-3 weeks so completely settle though she still gets the odd problem. .. but enough to tolerate. I also give her coloxyl twice day as she also has low motility in the bowel.
    Anyway. .I guess I'm saying it worked well for us. I still had drs pushing for neocate or elecare and they said to tube feed her but I resisted that. But that was more to do with weight gain. I think the drs sometimes can push for the prescription because it's cheaper than buying tins off the shelf. Also allerpro has only been in australia for about a year but used overseas for a long time. Drs resist it because they haven't used it/heard of it.
    Ok I'm rambling but we use it with success!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks ladies I am glad to hear cause everything I have read about cows milk protein intolerance is that children get diarreah.

Well I will just keep trying the allerpro and of I see no success will try the neocate. The idea of all the acids worries me though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Oh thanks ladies I am glad to hear cause everything I have read about cows milk protein intolerance is that children get diarreah.

Well I will just keep trying the allerpro and of I see no success will try the neocate. The idea of all the acids worries me though.
    Yep. Constipation is a symptom but not as common as diarrhea. Also blood in the stools.
    I hope allerpro works for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Can I ask what all your symptoms were?

My 10 week old daughter is formula fed.

From week 5 she's had horrible belly pains. It's like she's having contractions and they seem to pass. She sucks her dummy like crazy when she gets them.

We took her to our paedeatrician who we paid a fortune for and he diagnosed reflux and put her on losec.

Hasn't done a thing.

I was thinking it could be a lactose intolerance issue or allergy.

She is on thickened formula and mylanta, this helps with her constipation.

But she has bad belly pains that can come on up to 1 hour post feed

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did they dose the losec??
    Is it a compound or granules? Given for suspected reflux not cmpi?

My dd seemed to have a lot of belly aches. Some more spit up. Chronic constipation. Biggest marker for her was blood in stools. You can get this tested. It's called a calprotectin test. It's not definitive as it can show inflammation of the bowel etc but is helpful. A number over 100 is considered elevated. My dd was 845.
    Others have frothy green diarrhea.

I found losec was not useful. Cmpi and reflux are often misdiagnosed with each other. My dd's reflux symptoms were similar. But the elevated calprotectin and blood in stools led us to cmpi. However she was on zantac for reflux too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam

Once you discovered it was CMPI did you see a difference in her symptoms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are on the losec tablets

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of blood in stools and bad gas pain yes. She was a lot happier generally when we started allerpro.
    I still give her coloxyl though as she has difficulty with constipation. But the blood stopped.
    Reflux slowly decreased in severity and once she got to about 5 months I stopped giving zantac.