+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I usually agree with you 100% on all women's issues. But I don't agree with you on this ( The world has gone topsy turvy!)

I have a huge problem with the over sexualisation of all females, girls, teens and women. And this falls into that category for me.

But really, what chance does anyone stand? Our whole society is geared towards it. I saw someone buying their young daughter, maybe 7 or 8 a bra and panties set last summer. What is going on with the world.
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Both ends of the spectrum sexualise young girls and women and make judgements based on our hypersexualised society.

A parent buying bras for an 8 yr old is just as bad as one shaming a 14 yr old and calling her a sl@t. It's all about the pressure to fit in and be sexually attractive and IMO that's just wrong.

My point was that girls, need to be taught to look at things with a critical eye, to look at why they want to do the things or wear what they wear,. Why women are judged so harshly etc it's a lose lose situation. We need to stand up as women and stop shaming and judging and we all need to take a collective responsibility for the well being of others and say NO collectively to what is being sold via mass media, that tells girls and women they aren't good enough.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 24-09-2013 at 18:21.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),babycake  (24-09-2013),beebs  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),risfaerie  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay - gotcha. I 100% agree with you. I thought must've got the wrong end of the stick

Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Both ends of the spectrum sexual young girls and women and make judgements based on our hypersexualised society.

A parent buying bras for an 8 yr old is just as bad as one shaming a 14 yr old and calling her a sl@t. It's all about the pressure to fit in and be sexually attractive and IMO that's just wrong.

My point was that girls. Need to be taught to look at things with a critical eye, to look at why they want to do the things or wear what they. Why women are judged so harshly eteat its a lose lose situation until we stand up as women and stop shaming and judging and we all take a collective responsibility for the well being of others and say NO collectively to what is being sold via mass media, that tells girls and women they aren't good enough.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),risfaerie  (24-09-2013)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Havent read all the posts.

So far my dd is just a baby and i make a lot of her clothes, id love love love if she let me continue doing this even in her tweens but when the time comes its considered 'embarrassing' to wear home made clothes i will let her find her own style that she is comfortable with. I will have some say over things like bum cheeks hanging out of shorts and stuff like that.

Imo its far more important to teach my sons that a womans outfit isnt an open invitation than teaching my daughter to dress for safety.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),beebs  (24-09-2013),bigbum  (24-09-2013),BigRedV  (24-09-2013),bubbles89  (24-09-2013),ChickyBee  (24-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),twotrunks  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    *Coming back into this thread not reading any replies from last one

On our way to beach today I had to buy dd2 (12yrs old but fits a ladies 12, she is very tall for her age).
    I was in a huge hurry because we were meeting someone and I had to buy dd some shorts on the way.She has had a massive growth spurt and none of her old shorts fit. We stopped at Kmart. We found ONE pair that were of a suitable length that she kinda liked. Most of them were way too short.

So off the beach she went in denim shorts because they were the only one with long legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post

Imo its far more important to teach my sons that a womans outfit isnt an open invitation

I agree.

I am constantly talking to my teen son that it doesn't matter if a woman is running around in the nude, it still isn't a invitation.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),twotrunks  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Imo its far more important to teach my sons that a womans outfit isnt an open invitation than teaching my daughter to dress for safety.
    I wish I could thank this more than once.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    *Coming back into this thread not reading any replies from last one

On our way to beach today I had to buy dd2 (12yrs old but fits a ladies 12, she is very tall for her age).
    I was in a huge hurry because we were meeting someone and I had to buy dd some shorts on the way.She has had a massive growth spurt and none of her old shorts fit. We stopped at Kmart. We found ONE pair that were of a suitable length that she kinda liked. Most of them were way too short.

So off the beach she went in denim shorts because they were the only one with long legs.
    I've found this too. So the media/fashion industry tells girls to wear short shorts, the stores primarily only sell short shorts yet people are judging girls for wearing what is fashionable and readily available?

I just think that girls should be encouraged to choose what they like and what they feel suits them. My eldest daughter is beautiful- and I say that objectively, yeah? and the KR walks to the beat of her own drum, always has. She's 10 and I've only ever vetoed outfits that clashed ridiculously or weren't suited to where we were going (think knee high boots to beach walks, track suit pants under fitted dresses etc) and in doing so I've started to help her see what looks good on her and she's developing her own individual style. She has short shorts and skimpy tops and she looks gorgeous. She already understands that what's in fashion isn't for everyone.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I agree.

I am constantly talking to my teen son that it doesn't matter if a woman is running around in the nude, it still isn't a invitation.
    Exactly!
    Parents need to address r@pe culture with their kids as a matter of course instead of perpetuating the myth that a woman is somehow inviting assault by dressing a certain way or walking at night or having a few drinks etc.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (24-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (24-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Well I didn't get myself into terrible situations because my parents were on my ar$e all the time and taught me how to look after myself and respect myself. So clearly it has nothing to do with how you dress it who who sleep with, and everything to do with someone teaching you self worth.
    this.

I also put my hand up and admit I was a scantly dressed teenager, lost my V at 14 (beautiful story, no regrets), smoked, drank, had a belly piercing . But I also had a strong sense of self worth and see this time as an experimentation phase that I did eventually grow out of (though I probably still dress quite scantily for a 34 yr old mum of 2 but Im proud of my athletic build).

I still went to uni, had a career and didnt settle down and have children until I was 30.

To me when I hear people Judging women on what they wear it really only reflects badly on them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I hope my daughter feels comfortable enough in her own skin to wear what she wants, without having to bend to peer pressure.

Surely though, it won't be as bad as the pants around the butt trend that my DS1 insisted on wearing. Now that's a fashion trend that I cannot tolerate!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-09-2013)