+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    Im not saying you HAVE to wear lycra Im just saying that in general, people who ride for sport wear lycra. So I kinda look at it as a uniform as such. haha.

And I dont look at teens / or anyone wearing short shorts or revealing clothes and think 'sl^t' or anything like that BUT as a parent I would not allow my teens to dress that way. Just my stance on it.
    But butt cheek shorts ARE a uniform. They are the uniform of teenaged girls hanging out at the train station screeching at each other and showing off

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (24-09-2013),TimeForWine  (24-09-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    But butt cheek shorts ARE a uniform. They are the uniform of teenaged girls hanging out at the train station screeching at each other and showing off
    you got me there!

Haha but seriously I get letting my girls have their own sense of style etc but I also think as a parent I should be saying actually no I dont think that outfit is appropriate... maybe im just really really uncool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    you got me there!

Haha but seriously I get letting my girls have their own sense of style etc but I also think as a parent I should be saying actually no I dont think that outfit is appropriate... maybe im just really really uncool!
    I think as parents we probably have to be a bit uncool sometimes lol.. It's just that every family is going to have different stuff they crack down on. I would probably say something if I felt my daughters outfit was a bit too revealing.. but having said that, teenage girls do have their own minds and they own their own bodies so I would expect they wouldnt necessarily listen to everything I have to say. I don't have teenagers yet but I think Ill probably try to walk a fine line between giving them boundaries and giving them freedom. Every parent has to work that out somehow I guess. My point is Im not that freaked out by the prospect of my children dressing a certain way.. I am concerned that they would be too easily led and that sort of thing. I agree with Fearless leader above ^^ that to some extent, teenagers are going to do things we prefer them not to, and I am going to try not to be too freaked out the day my daughter starts having sex, or on the flipside, joins some weird virginity club Ill try my hardest to help them avoid destructive and damaging stuff and make sure they know I love them no matter what. Even if they take up twerking like Miley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbum For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (24-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    But they will.
    Yes, I agree, they will. However, by concerning ourselves with how others are judging us and our children aren't we giving their tiny brains and shallow minds some level of credibility? If someone assumes that a young teenage girl dressed in a short skirt and bikini top is a s(ut then they are the ones with the issues, not the girl in question.

Also, we are we assuming that there is a correlation between how girls dress and their sexual activity? Is this a definite correlation? The only girl I knew at school that got pregnant was the girl from the strict Christian family who was always well behaved, never went out to nightclubs or parties etc. (Admittedly there may have been others who had terminations.)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),bigbum  (24-09-2013),ChickyBee  (24-09-2013),Mokeybear  (24-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-09-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbum View Post
    I think as parents we probably have to be a bit uncool sometimes lol.. It's just that every family is going to have different stuff they crack down on. I would probably say something if I felt my daughters outfit was a bit too revealing.. but having said that, teenage girls do have their own minds and they own their own bodies so I would expect they wouldnt necessarily listen to everything I have to say. I don't have teenagers yet but I think Ill probably try to walk a fine line between giving them boundaries and giving them freedom. Every parent has to work that out somehow I guess. My point is Im not that freaked out by the prospect of my children dressing a certain way.. I am concerned that they would be too easily led and that sort of thing. I agree with Fearless leader above ^^ that to some extent, teenagers are going to do things we prefer them not to, and I am going to try not to be too freaked out the day my daughter starts having sex, or on the flipside, joins some weird virginity club Ill try my hardest to help them avoid destructive and damaging stuff and make sure they know I love them no matter what. Even if they take up twerking like Miley

I guess i need to try to remember what it was like when i was a teenager. How hard it actually is!

I guess all i can hope is my daughters respect themselves and are confident in their views and beliefs and dont just do things because its 'cool'. And as much as it even pains me to say it, I hope when my daughters have sex (argghhh) they do it safely - both emotionally and physically and it is with someone who treats them with respect and they actually love one another.

I didnt lose my virginity till quite old - and for some reason this really ****ed my mum off ! haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Meg2;7462177]I don't think this thread is s.lut shaming. I think people are worried about the social pressures that are places on young girls to look sexy all the time. Our society sends a clear message through dolls, music videos, celebrities, advertising and fashion that the value of girls and women lies in how f@ckable they are. This is what I think people are lamenting in this

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree there should be no pressure for any girl especially fashion you see in tv music everything the less you wear the sexyier I dont believe that is true at all! I want my daughter to know even if she wears jeans with a baggy shirt shes still beautiful and that she does not have to dress inappropriately to get any attention! !....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was looking at photos of my mum not long ago, who was a tween/teen of the 70s. She wore tiny shorts, crocheted bikinis, mid riff tops. She worked in a bank from 15 and said she wore platforms and a mini skirt that was so short she couldn't bend over.

So it is interesting to me....it seems the length of the hem hasn't changed, more the way the girls who wear them are viewed?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's not the clothing on its own so much... often how/why it's worn.

Are you wearing your tiny shorts because it's hot, and they're comfortable? Or are you wearing them because you're showing off and you think it makes you a cooler person to have your bum on display? You can make the most elegant outfit trashy if you teamed it with a trashy attitude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think it's not the clothing on its own so much... often how/why it's worn.

Are you wearing your tiny shorts because it's hot, and they're comfortable? Or are you wearing them because you're showing off and you think it makes you a cooler person to have your bum on display? You can make the most elegant outfit trashy if you teamed it with a trashy attitude.
    is it a trashy attitude for a young girl to want to show off her body? Eeek. I dont recall ever wearing clothes simply because they were comfortable when I was young.. I mostly dressed to look good/sexy/pretty/get attention. I actually don't find that particularly distasteful. i think it's normal for people to want others to think they are attractive. When I was a teenager, I was proud of my body.. (okay not my boobs, I always wanted them to actually exist).. and I wore tiny outfits all the time. and yet.. I was not really very sexually active until I was 17/18. If people thought i was trashy, that's their problem.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),twotrunks  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DP keeps saying he is going to lock DD up till she is 30 and scare away all her boyfriends and I am assuming he is joking cause otherwise we will have issues. I do hate the messages about body image that society sends to young girls and I hate the messages young boys get in relation to the treatment of girls/women. Sex has been a main selling point for decades and it only seems to be getting worse. My aim will be to teach DD how to respect herself and make smart choices so that she can live with no regrets. Cant do that by shutting her away from the world and scaring away what could be very decent guys.

The vilification of each upcoming generation does frustrate me. They don't need it.