+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    But that's just it they are by adults/boys and other girls it's a fact...
    So what? That's their problem. Certainly not my daughter's or mine.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (24-09-2013),ChickyBee  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids pretty much wear what they want, but I've okayed their purchases when it's my money - Birthday money they get more say. My 12 year old just headed off to the shop in skinny black jeans, Tshirt and hi-tops - pretty standard dress for her age around here. If she was wanting to do butt cheeks
    Showing I might be more iffy? But she wouldn't be likely to choose them in the first place. I haven't seen mug if what people mention around our area, other than the short shorts which are just the fashion, they'll be done soon enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I'm not concerned at all. My daughter is awesome no matter what she wears, and no one has the right to judge her based on the way she looks.
    But they will.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    This is why I'm teaching my kids to respect other peoples clothing choices, whether they're covered from neck to toes or only covering their neck & toes. I refuse to teach my kids to be anyone but themselves just because other people are a-holes.
    I guess that is the issue though - is it really a choice when girls are constantly bombarded with images telling them how they are supposed to look? Do we really think that so many girls just have an innate preference to wear less clothing than boys, or to wear less comfortable clothing than boys? Or are our children being manipulated into presenting themselves in a certain way?
    These are important things to consider before we just write off the discussion as "oh well, each to their own".

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2013),CleverClogs  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Meh. I wore short short skirts, midriff tops, plenty of cleavage, the whole shebang. Still do on occasion I respect myself. I am flippin awesome. I EVEN had one night stands and slutted around in my youth. I can't see how it effects anyone else.
    If my DD feels comfortable and confident wearing what she pleases, then I will be happy for her. If she enjoys consensual sex with whomever she pleases I will be over the moon for her.

I sometimes wonder whether the tut-tutting at the younger generations has an element of jealousy for some people. Who cares what teenagers wear? They're young and enjoying themselves.
    I did too...and I also got myself in some dangerous situations and had a termination at 16. I want my DD to avoid those things. I wish my mum had paid more attention to what I was doing as a teenager. Being an alcoholic she barely knew where I was half the time.

Last edited by CleverClogs; 24-09-2013 at 13:26.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With 2 girls i do guide them to dress modestly.

They are still very young.

I hope they will get thier own unique style as they get older, and I hope they are happy and confident girls.

In saying that there are definitely certain things I would not buy them / allow them to wear whilst under a certain age.

Nothing to do with sl^t shaming, just dressing appropriately for their age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all good and well to say they can wear what they want their identity etc but the reality is that our society will make judgements based on what people wear. Not many girls will be happy to know they are being judged as cheap and nasty no matter how high their self esteem is. in reality the higher their self esteem the less likely they are going to feel they need to dress in away that makes such a statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH says the way teenage girls dress is like hookers and strippers. I tend to agree (not all of course)

I am not a huge fan of the short short shorts and skirts etc but back in the 60's micro minis were majorly in fashion so it's nothing new really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm talking about young teens, so you are ok if your young teen, 12,13, 14 year old went sleeping around and having one night stands?

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Meh. I wore short short skirts, midriff tops, plenty of cleavage, the whole shebang. Still do on occasion I respect myself. I am flippin awesome. I EVEN had one night stands and slutted around in my youth. I can't see how it effects anyone else.
    If my DD feels comfortable and confident wearing what she pleases, then I will be happy for her. If she enjoys consensual sex with whomever she pleases I will be over the moon for her.

I sometimes wonder whether the tut-tutting at the younger generations has an element of jealousy for some people. Who cares what teenagers wear? They're young and enjoying themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I guess that is the issue though - is it really a choice when girls are constantly bombarded with images telling them how they are supposed to look? Do we really think that so many girls just have an innate preference to wear less clothing than boys, or to wear less comfortable clothing than boys? Or are our children being manipulated into presenting themselves in a certain way?
    These are important things to consider before we just write off the discussion as "oh well, each to their own".