+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't believe in shaming girls to dress a certain way.
    I don't believe in telling girls to cover up for safety. You are not any safer if you wear a long dress or a short one.

What I told my daughter was that she should wear things that made her happy, that she loved, that made her feel god. She should think about what truly suited her. I explained that people would judge her depending on the circumstance and if they deemed what she was wearing appropriate (unfair but true). I told her instead of bowing to media pressure and others expectations that she should get her own style going.

My daughter has big breasts and gets stared at no matter what she's wearing ( she usually wears t shirts and jeans).

I taught her about the male gaze.
    http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress....male-gaze”/

Young girls are doing what they have always done, I don't remember it any differently from my high school days. The difference is we now have more info and can equip them differently.

P.S I really hate the s(ut shaming thing.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2013),BigRedV  (24-09-2013),ChickyBee  (24-09-2013),GreenMama  (24-09-2013),Lillynix  (24-09-2013),Lincolns mummy  (24-09-2013),Luna Lovegood  (24-09-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (24-09-2013),Pilbara  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),RipperRita  (24-09-2013),shelle65  (24-09-2013),twotrunks  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I don't believe in shaming girls to dress a certain way.
    I don't believe in telling girls to cover up for safety. You are not any safer if you wear a long dress or a short one.

What I told my daughter was that she should wear things that made her happy, that she loved, that made her feel god. She should think about what truly suited her. I explained that people would judge her depending on the circumstance and if they deemed what she was wearing appropriate (unfair but true). I told her instead of bowing to media pressure and others expectations that she should get her own style going.

My daughter has big breasts and gets stared at no matter what she's wearing ( she usually wears t shirts and jeans).

I taught her about the male gaze.
    http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress....male-gaze”/

Young girls are doing what they have always done, I don't remember it any differently from my high school days. The difference is we now have more info and can equip them differently.

P.S I really hate the s(ut shaming thing.
    Loved reading this post...I cannot understand how a parent could ever feel comfortable to use the word s!ut....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'm only 24 and I don't remember anything particularly sk@nky about my generation as teens, of course there were the outwardly sk@nky behaved girls but no bum hanging out shorts or teeny tiny midriff shirts...
    I'm 24 too, I don't think we dressed 'skanky' as such but definitely all wore midriff tops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think this thread is s.lut shaming. I think people are worried about the social pressures that are places on young girls to look sexy all the time. Our society sends a clear message through dolls, music videos, celebrities, advertising and fashion that the value of girls and women lies in how f@ckable they are. This is what I think people are lamenting in this thread.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2013),bubbles89  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I don't think this thread is s.lut shaming. I think people are worried about the social pressures that are places on young girls to look sexy all the time. Our society sends a clear message through dolls, music videos, celebrities, advertising and fashion that the value of girls and women lies in how f@ckable they are. This is what I think people are lamenting in this thread.
    IF that is the case, then why hasn't anyone said that? All I'm seeing is 'ugh, trashy teens, I didn't dress like that!' (And I can guarantee that no matter what age you are, someone looked at your age group & thought the same thing.)

There's definitely a problem with how women are presented in media, but there's no need to call teenagers who are just dressing according to the latest style names.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-09-2013),Tildy  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I have seen I believe s(ut and *****, come up, and dressing for safety.

I never ever refer to any woman as a biatch, wh0re, sl@t or sk@nk.
    I am very careful about the message I send my daughter about what society tells about women and girls.

It's all about either being seen a a good girl, or sl@t. The same old Virgin wh0re dichotomy.

Making sure girls are modest, all the while they have this enormous pressure to bow to social standards of beauty and are constantly jusdged throughout their lives on their ranking by men and other women in terms f@ckability.

Personally I find it all a bit ick.

Parents need to understand their teens are trying to find their way in the world, to express themselves. They don't need to be labelled. We adults need to be very careful about what we say about other girls and women, and what message we are sending them about their sexuality.

Also have to add the stuff about locking up daughters, really annoys me.
    Either we don't trust our daughters and we think they are weak minded, or we don't trust people in society around our daughters, and if that's the case, something needs to change, but I'm not punishing my children on other people's baseless perceptions.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 24-09-2013 at 18:17.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (24-09-2013),Lillynix  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),Tildy  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always joke that I'm going to home school our DD, but that's mainly due to bullying and other pressures that surround tweens and teenagers. I personally hate seeing young children in 'sexy' clothing. I see it for sale everywhere in the shops too. There's something just so wrong about these pre-pubescent girls showing off their tummies and legs, when they still just look like little kids.

I'm in my mid-20s, am big-busted and definitely used to dress to show cleavage.there can be a very thin line between skanky and tasteful and I'm sure I crossed over it unintentionally at times while trying to find my style as a teenager. My rule to myself was always only show a maximum of one body part. I wouldn't have worn a micro mini skirt, low cut top and showed midriff all at the same time.

I honestly believe people should be able to dress as they please without being judged. Unfortunately it's the way of the world that that is not so. And I'll admit to being a total hypocrite here, because I am extremely judgemental about some outfits I see (although it does have to be pretty extreme for me to take too much notice).

I hope that I can raise my daughter to have high self esteem and to be happy in her self. I think from about 15/16 onwards I'll allow her to choose what she wears (with her input before that of course) and I hope that she realises what she wears does not define her.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

bubbles89  (24-09-2013),twotrunks  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I'm not concerned at all. My daughter is awesome no matter what she wears, and no one has the right to judge her based on the way she looks.
    But that's just it they are by adults/boys and other girls it's a fact...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to wear midrif tops, short shorts, hell I even had my belly pierced at 14 and mum would crochet me see through tops I wore a sports bra under! I used to follow the fashion still do at 31 and guess what? I lost my virginity in uni and dh is one of only 3 men ive actually slept with. Its about your moral compass not fashion sense. I was taught to respect myself first and this respect came from me, not what guys thought of me. Dressing the way I did made me feel good about myself for sure, but I didnt care what anyone else thought.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-09-2013),babycake  (24-09-2013),FearlessLeader  (24-09-2013),Lillynix  (24-09-2013),Renn  (24-09-2013),risfaerie  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughters will dress how they like. I want them to be proud and happy and confident. They will learn what suits them and what doesn't. They way you dress as a teen is part of experimenting and exploring who you are.
    Anyone who judges them based on their clothing needs to look at themselves and ask why they are using words like skanky and slutty and applying them to children.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (24-09-2013),FearlessLeader  (24-09-2013),MeeG  (24-09-2013),RipperRita  (24-09-2013),risfaerie  (24-09-2013),River Song  (24-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-09-2013)