+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With camping I think sun up is fair game. If people don't like that there will be kids running around so early there are options for more secluded camping.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to clarify - I wasn't stark raving angry about the 5.50am wake up. A bit grumpy is all.

I have no expectation of anyone to lie in their bed until 7am! In our family, if we wake well before 7am and the kids are restless we get up and go for a walk. That's how we handle it. I understand that others will not choose to do that. It does irritate me though when their kids are screaming at each other outside my window before 6am.

Babies are another story. They don't even fit in this equation. As we all know, babies do what they like!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (25-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't think you can compare the noise a crying baby makes with children that have been allowed to leave the tent and are up and about outside. In either case I would expect *some* level of effort from the parents to keep their babies and/or children occupied or at the very least, not being overly loud until such time that more people in the camp ground are up and about. I realise this might not always be possible but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some effort. Take the kids for a walk, get them breakfast, bring some activities that they can do inside the tent, etc. I'm not saying I would expect perfect peace, I realise people (esp children) make noise. My DS speaks quite loudly so I'd expect to have to remind him to talk in his inside voice.

In Qld the sun can be up at 4:30am during the warmer months! I don't think I'm alone in saying I'm not a happy bunny if woken at 4:30am.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think simple common sense will usually suffice. I'm not going to whisper at 7am, but I'm not going to tolerate yelling at 7am. If DS was up and in a "noisy mood", I'd send him to the park, or if that's not possible I'd get up, get him to help me with breaki or go for a walk so his noisiness is spread out between campers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And it is perfectly acceptable to have expectations of other people when in a social environment. I'm just saying, it's also perfectly acceptable for other people to go ".. Piffle to that" to your expectations of them and do their own thing.

Perhaps I'm just judging by my own camping, but if you're still asleep after the sun is (and the sun rises at about 4:30-5 AM in Tassie in Summer) then you're bloody lazy and deserve a wake up. And to learn to appreciate the sunrise a bit more. Complaints are generally met with an amused look and the answer "If you wanted home comforts, you should have stayed at home." But I go camping with a lot of ridiculously early risers (farmers and the like, who are up before the sun and normally telling it off for being so bloody lazy to still be asleep at 6AM).

As a random thing, I think I got the lazy sun when I was in Qld. The thing never woke up before 6AM, despite my repeated requests for it to because I had things to do!

So, to repeat what I'd said already: Social expectations and etiquette is different depending on who you speak to and deciding 7AM is an acceptable time to be awake is not being as courteous as some people would like to believe. For me, 7AM is wasted time. For others, if you dare even BREATH near them at 7AM to wake them up it's sort of like poking a raging, hormonal bear with a sharp and pointy stick, poking your tongue out and going "Ner ner ner!" For others (Mostly parents, I've found) 7AM is a reasonable time to be awake, and I still haven't figured out why. Growing up all my friends parents and my mum were up at 7AM. Was weird. But then the non parents were up at 5-6, the people who worked at night were either like me (and still up at 5-6:30) or still asleep at 11AM.

Maybe there's a parent switch that flicks. Hmm. You have a baby and suddenly "Righto, it's 7AM. It's an okay time to be awake now." Will have to put more thought into this..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is why I will never ever ever camp in camp ground situations. Never have either. We go camping out bush or beach and isolate ourselves from everyone else.

We are up when the sun is sometimes before. My kids are noisy excitable and raring to go when we go camping. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the freedom, the outdoors and the memories we make.

We go camping to be outdoors and that's what happens. We go early morning fishing. We're up making breakkie early. The kids are laughing playing and tiring themselves out. We enjoy watching the sunrise as a family as we do sunset and my kids think its the best thing.

You could always go more isolated camping and have the freedom to wake whenever you please. Have as much noise or lack there of also.

When you camp in camp grounds where everyone is in quite close proximity expect there to be differences in routine. In how people are and what they think is ok.

Go more isolated and you don't have to worry about anyone but yourself IYKWIM
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 25-09-2013 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We go camping every couple weeks and do big camps ie more then 2/3 days twice a year so regular campers also

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is why I stick to hotels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont think anyone wants to hear screaming and yelling first thing in tbe morning whether your camping or not. Just like your house neighbours party until 2am or later but it happens camping or not. But like I said in my previous post we dont care what time the kids get up but we tell them going ballistic first thing in the morning is not an option at home or away. This to me is campground ettiquette your the parents. Teach them whats acceptable. I don't have quiet kids in general but if the campsite is queit they follow suit. They go for little walks or make breaky or just chatter and giggle. They wait til they see some other kids riding bikes or mucking around then they join in but if this was at 6am who am I then to tell my kids off for being noisy or playing?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    If you don't like getting woken up before 7am don't go camping. The birds couldn't give a stuff about 7am.
    Actually if other people's general routine being different to yours (going to bed at midnight, getting up at 5am) bothers you, dont go camping.
    This is one of the many many reasons I don't go camping.
    This is also why I don't like camping much. I hate being woken up early when I'm on holiday. I do that when I get up for work. And yeah it's wasting time but I love it.