+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo View Post
    It doesn't matter what time is acceptable to wake up... the point is to be considerate of others and keep your noise down... like you would if you are living in a unit.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

This! It's about being considerate of the hoards of people SLEEPING around you. Simple!

Even when you get up early to go fishing for example, you try to keep your noise to a minimum because the majority of the camp ground is still asleep.

I think 6.30/7.00 is acceptable in a camp ground because you do usually get up early. But I think you generally go with the flow - if campers around you are rising at 6am, you're going to wake up then too. If there is just one screeching group of campers waking everyone up -well then that's not fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As soon as the sun is up. The people who will get annoyed by the kids' noise are probably the ones who kept me up all night with their drunk voices!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (25-09-2013),just her chameleon  (25-09-2013),PipersMummy  (25-09-2013),smallpotatoes  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have to keep kids quiet until a time that is "acceptable" to adults who want to sleep in, then what about the other end of the day.

Why do adults think it's ok to sit up drinking and carrying on until 2 am potentially waking the kids up who I am sure are not up until then?

Adults are old enough to "know" better, whereas kids in most cases aren't and are just being kids.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (25-09-2013),Miados2007  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    If you have to keep kids quiet until a time that is "acceptable" to adults who want to sleep in, then what about the other end of the day.

Why do adults think it's ok to sit up drinking and carrying on until 2 am potentially waking the kids up who I am sure are not up until then?

Adults are old enough to "know" better, whereas kids in most cases aren't and are just being kids.
    Oh good point. Most of the time adults who stay up until 2am are drunk and well don't have their marbles about them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Has anyone told the birds about this reasonable hour thing?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (25-09-2013),BlissedOut  (25-09-2013),Donnab739  (25-09-2013),GreenMama  (25-09-2013),Jakois  (25-09-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you don't like getting woken up before 7am don't go camping. The birds couldn't give a stuff about 7am.
    Actually if other people's general routine being different to yours (going to bed at midnight, getting up at 5am) bothers you, dont go camping.
    This is one of the many many reasons I don't go camping.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (25-09-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    There is such a thing as camp ground etiquette. Having noisy children running around before 6am is rather inconsiderate, as is loud adults at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Why 7am?? For me 7am is wasted daylight no matter where I am. 6am is an acceptable time to start my day. It would drive me insane laying quietly in case I interrupted someone "wasting" their time by sleeping cause then in turn they're also wasting mine.

What if someone elses acceptable time is 9am and your kids disturbed them? (Hypothetically).

Of all the things I dont understand, people thinking their way of doing things is far more normal and acceptable and less annoying than someone elses is really up there.
    No one is asking anyone to lay quietly for an hour, it's about not being excessively noisy. Not yelling across the camp site, having loud music, etc. Moreover, no one is insisting that their 'clock' is the only acceptable one, they are just asking for a level of reasonableness. If everyone at a camp was up and about at 6am then it would be fine to have children up and about, however, if no one is up and about then I think it's reasonable to expect that some effort is made to keep children occupied in a quieter activity until such time that there are more people up and awake. How is that being unreasonable?

If you want to get up at 6am then do so, just don't start up the lawn mower, that's all.

ETA: Birds are different, there's not a lot we can do about that noise and some of it is quite lovely (eg early morning magpies are nice, flocks of noisy cockatoos not so nice).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

ClearCrystal  (25-09-2013),JungleMum  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We go camping at Easter with a group of friends. One of them doesn't like to get up before 11 on weekends. But when camping she understands that's not going to happen.

Ds will be about 17 months when we go camping at easter, I will have no hope of keeping him quiet until an "acceptable" time. Once he is awake, he is on the go. If a neighbours dog starts barking he yells at them, I can only imagine what he is going to do when the kookaburras starting laughing above our tents in the mornings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Guess its a bit hard to put an exact time on when people should rise when camping, but when the sun is up is fair enough imo. In WA daybreak is around 5am and in summer it is searing hot by 7am ,too hot to cooped up in a tent plus there is so many things to enjoy like watching the sun rise and seeing the nocturnal animals before they head off for a nap for the day. I always find the days are not long enough and want to get the most out of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    There is such a thing as camp ground etiquette. Having noisy children running around before 6am is rather inconsiderate, as is loud adults at 2am.

No one is asking anyone to lay quietly for an hour, it's about not being excessively noisy. Not yelling across the camp site, having loud music, etc. Moreover, no one is insisting that their 'clock' is the only acceptable one, they are just asking for a level of reasonableness. If everyone at a camp was up and about at 6am then it would be fine to have children up and about, however, if no one is up and about then I think it's reasonable to expect that some effort is made to keep children occupied in a quieter activity until such time that there are more people up and awake. How is that being unreasonable?

If you want to get up at 6am then do so, just don't start up the lawn mower, that's all.

ETA: Birds are different, there's not a lot we can do about that noise and some of it is quite lovely (eg early morning magpies are nice, flocks of noisy cockatoos not so nice).
    The OP asked for opinions on acceptable wake times. Personally, I think anyone who takes a baby camping can't really say much about acceptable waking times of those around them because, well, babies cry. And scream. And do baby things. It's what babies do, really. And some people don't like babies, and won't accept the "It's what babies do" reason for having their own sleep interrupted. So the OP, at some stage, had children who woke up the people around them, and it's just what happens. Did the baby know better? No. Would I care? Nope. Would most people care and be understanding? Yep. I sincerely hope the OP gave a piece of her mind to anyone who tried to "have words" with her regarding the noise level of her children.
    And before anyone says "but babies are different!" no, they aren't. If someone doesn't like babies, or children, or anything like that really, they really really aren't. It's still a small, screaming thing that a parent couldn't keep quiet and instead interrupted someone elses sleep.

I hope I'm making sense, I haven't finished my coffee yet so my brain's not quite with it. (Stupid night shift. Grr)

I actually reread my posts this morning and they come across as quite annoyed. I don't mean them to. I'm mostly curious.

The laying quietly for an hour thing was sort of an example. I get random bursts of NEED to move. Normally in the mornings. I actually really need to or I start getting irritated and annoyed and frustrated and upset, so I can understand the impossibility of keeping children quiet and contained and it would feel like I was laying quietly for that hour while other people were sleeping, and I remember feeling like that's how it was when I was a kid. So, people would be wasting my time by sleeping and I would be laying there/sitting there trying to be quiet so as not to bother them. And it's different for me. I'm an adult, so I know that other people enjoy sleep.

But if kids know adults enjoy sleep and we need to let them have their sleep ins, why oh why do they insist on waking at 5:30AM every morning?

And tbh, I've yet to be on a camp site where anyone was still awake at 6AM, apart from a few who'd had too much to drink the night before. Even the people who were drinking the night before are up with the sun. I'm assuming there's campground sites are sort of family-orientated. And if that's the case, expecting people to keep to an arbitrary sleep time to suit everyone else makes no sense. I thought that's why there were certain kid friendly places, because everyone was understanding that kids are kids and don't usually conform to the rules of polite and acceptable sleep society..