+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting 2 week old on Mixed feeding as cant attach

Hey
    I have a 2 week old daughter who from the start has not been able to attach. There is nothing wrong with her mouth or my nipples, she just will not do it. Have been able to get her on a few times but then she gets fustrated. We have had few issues with her at the hospital being on the nipple and shiringe, to getting home being on a bottle for top us feeds and then also a nipple shield. The only way she is happy feeding is with a bottle.

I am still trying the nipple every time.. but usually after 5-10 minutes she is very worked up crying. We need to come to a decision soon as this is not only inpacking her, but me and my fiance also. We are going to give it a few more weeks and still see the lacation consultant at the hospital.. but thinking in the mean time with mixed feeding.

I am expressing 5-6 times a day and getting around 50-100 ml per express. At the moment we are just seeing what I have expressed and then topping up with formula.. or giving straight formula. We think this is upsetting her stomach all this changing so want to come up with a routine.

Just thinking what you think? I was thinking of still expressing as much as I can but saving it all up for night feeds as that is the hardest when trying to make bottle formula up and using the formula during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this? Or is it better the alternate between bottle and formula?

Any advice on getting this started would be great as well are 3 confused people!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would get help from the lactation consultant as soon as possible. Your MCHN may also be able to help if you aren't finding the hospital LC helpful.

Exclusive expressing is very hard (not impossible but not easy). The sucking from bub and skin contact, helps the milk making hormones to be released. If you are still interested in breastfeeding, a supplementary nursing system might help. This is a small tube that you tape next to your nipple and milk (expressed breastmilk or formula) comes out while bub is also learning to suck at the nipple.

Nipple shields can also help, but there are tips in making them easier to work too.

Good luck over the next few weeks,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this with my second child, she was smaller than my first and didn't latch well even though there were no underlying problems.
    I persevered and during the 3rd weeks things just got better. I think she grew a little and her tiny mouth got big enough to fit more comfortably.
    Stick at it if you can. I'd also get checked for tongue and lip ties to rule those out.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had issues with my 2nd too, for different reasons but it meant we did top ups with formula too.

The only advice I can give is to be careful of nipple confusion which basically ended our BF journey.

It wasn't a total loss as ds2 just thrived on formula, and BM just didn't work for him.

I'm a BF advocate though and for bub no3 we'll try BF again.

Good luck I hope BF works out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I would get help from the lactation consultant as soon as possible. Your MCHN may also be able to help if you aren't finding the hospital LC helpful.

Exclusive expressing is very hard (not impossible but not easy). The sucking from bub and skin contact, helps the milk making hormones to be released. If you are still interested in breastfeeding, a supplementary nursing system might help. This is a small tube that you tape next to your nipple and milk (expressed breastmilk or formula) comes out while bub is also learning to suck at the nipple.

Nipple shields can also help, but there are tips in making them easier to work too.

Good luck over the next few weeks,
    Thanks for the reply. We see the hospital LC tomorrow so will give them one more chance. If nothing comes from it again Ill see a professional one. Hope they might have some ideas!!

She likes the nipple sheild but was told to stop using as it was to confusing for her. Can you do nipple shield full time or are they just for short time fix?

Thanks
    Reviews
    here is some info on nipple shields.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/nipple-shields

I know a few women who have used them long term successfully, but more women find them good at the start if bub is having difficulties, and then over time start the feed with the shield on, and then slip it off a bit later until baby is fine to feed direct at the breast.

It is less confusing for baby, and better for your supply, to be feeding bub at the breast with a nipple shield than trying to express and then feeding baby with a bottle.

There are a few reasons why babies can find it hard to attach, tongue or lip ties, if babies have small mouths, sore necks.... a professional LC can be great if you don't think the one you are seeing has ideas that work for you.

You can also give the ABA a call 24 hours, and the counsellor might have some ideas you haven't tried. Different positions or baby led attachment might work better.