+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Postpartum preeclampsia... Has anybody else had it?

I had my first child 3 years ago via emergency c-sect. I labored for about 22 hours before the c-sect and although I had a normal pregnancy I ended up with a strange high fever during labor, and my boy ended up in special care with pneumonia after birth. I was still on the ward 4 days after the birth with Oscar in special care when I started to feel 'strange'. I couldn't describe it but I knew I didn't feel right. I buzzed the nurse and they checked my stats and my blood pressure was sky high. They took blood and urine and as soon as the results came back they told me I had post parting preeclampsia and raced me to intensive care. I had to spend 40 hours in a magnesium drip and the whole thing got pretty scary. I am really so lucky that I was still in hospital when it happened and I wasn't at home with it undiagnosed as I have read some horror stories about it. I am just TTC baby number 2 and just trying to connect with anybody else who has had pppe and and trying to find out the likelihood of it reoccurring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I PPE subbing to come back latter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi it's hard to find many people who have had it hey. I honestly didn't know it was possible til it happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister did with her first, was discharged a day or 2 after birth, was readmitted couple of days later after feeling off. It wasn't as bad as you though as I'm pretty sure it was just managed with bp meds. She didn't have any issues with her second bub (apart from being induced with diabetes ending up in a c section!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is lucky to escape the magnesium - it was awful, felt like my veins were on fire I did lots if googling today before I posted trying to get answers but it seems to be pretty rare. A lot of stories I read were of women who were home already and started to get bad headaches and some swelling and some lost their vision or had seizures before it was diagnosed, so I think I got off pretty lightly too. Just can't seem to find much research on the odds if it reoccurring in second pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummanda, I developed PE out of nowhere at 34 weeks, was unable to control it with meds or magnesium infusion and I had a c-section less than 24 hours after I developed symptoms. My PE stuck around for almost 3 months after DS was born. Spent 10 days in hospital 6 o those on magnesium infusion and then went home in oral medications that I've been weaned off.

I've been told that it may come back on future, but will often be not a sever. I've been advised if I intend to fall pregnant again that I will need to contact an OB and discuss management. Also still have follow up appointment with renal physician and have been told he well be able to tell me more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummybic - woah, 6 days on magnesium, how awful. I am wondering if I will be considered high risk the next time I am pregnant with my PE only presenting after I had my son? I wish there was some more info available about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wasn't too bad, the worst part was DS was in NICU and couldn't spend a lot of time down there because I had to have a nurse with me

I think that you would be considered high for future pregnancies. I have a follow up on appointment in the morning will ask him a few questions and get back to you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

Mummanda  (24-09-2013)