+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    But it's ok because it is not union officials running the country via the labor party

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-09-2013),FearlessLeader  (21-09-2013),risfaerie  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Jeepers how can he possibly claim these men represent Australia???
    You mean you're NOT a white middle aged male Catholic solicitor?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But it's ok because it is not union officials running the country via the labor party
    It's not ok but neither are unions controlling the labor party - it is one thing that many people find really off putting. There are many that are plain and simply corrupt and too powerful, and not representative of main****** Australia either.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a government that balanced all interests? Not happening anytime soon but would be nice.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It's not ok but neither are unions controlling the labor party - it is one thing that many people find really off putting. There are many that are plain and simply corrupt and too powerful, and not representative of main****** Australia either.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a government that balanced all interests? Not happening anytime soon but would be nice.
    I read BRV's post as being more sarcastic - pointing out a double standard that has been used by Lib supporters in that they don't vote for the ALP because they don't want the country run by union heavy weights.

It most definitely would be nice to have a government that is much more representative of the population but I don't think that would guarantee a quality government (not saying you're suggesting that, just my train of thought). It would be a start just to people who base their policies on empirical evidence rather than ideology or self interest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes. Was being sarcastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I realise it was sarcastic but I think you've missed my point. Neither position is acceptable. The liberal party is accused of being controlled by large corporate interests (and it largely is) and the labor party of being controlled by unions (which it largely is).

I haven't felt represented by the ALP for years but it aligns with my social position (only just as it could do a hell of a lot more). I've felt increasingly isolated from it because of my views on many of the unions and the nsw right.

Maybe it would have been better if I'd said that the government shouldn't be aligned so strongly with one interest, rather than being representative of all Australia.
    Last edited by Sonja; 21-09-2013 at 20:11.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-09-2013)